Seagate 48-bit hex S.M.A.R.T. compatibility

CGar

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but a quick search didn't turn anything up.  Stablebit Scanner detected some bad sectors on one of my old hard drives (THANK YOU STABLEBIT) this morning and I have started shopping replacements.  I'm looking at the Seagate Exos X14 12TB, but one of the Amazon reviews mentions that Seagate drives use some non-standard S.M.A.R.T. reporting values.  Searching Reddit similarly brought up many accounts of people freaking out for no reason for the same problem, Seagate's 48-bit hex S.M.A.R.T. reporting format is different than the industry standard.

I'm using much older Seagates (6 yrs+) with Stablebit Scanner, and infact the failing drive is a Seagate.  So my question is, if I purchase a newer Seagate hard drive, is Scanner going to have any issues reading/reporting correct S.M.A.R.T. information?

• 2 weeks later...

It should be able to.  We don't really report the raw values, since a lot of manufacturers (especially SSD ones) report in a non-standard method.  We have a lot of drives doing that, actually. 

So the drives in question should be okay. And if they are not, let us know, and we can see about adding some interpretations for the SMART data for the drive.