Read Speed Slowed by DrivePool?

Chipless

Question

I have several external hard drives pooled together by DrivePool, which contain full backups of my UHD-BD collection. I'm using the Windows 10 PC on which the DrivePool is located as an NFS NAS. The PC is connected to a router via ethernet cable and the router is also connected to an UHD-BD player via ethernet. I can browse the DrivePool and select files via the UHD-BD player, however playback stutters and audio cuts in and out. If I simply remove a hard drive from DrivePool, and access that same drive separately from the UHD-BD player, all files on the removed drive playback without any issue, which leads me to believe that the read speeds are drastically reduced by DrivePool? Could this be the case? If so, is there any way to increase the read speed so that the files play correctly?

6 answers to this question

Also, having the drive connected directly is always going to get better performance than over the network, because there are fewer moving parts. 

Like @Sparhawk mentioned, it may be a slow network jack.  Though, it may be worth making a share on a non-pooled location, and see if that still has the same issue or not. 

Update, I played around with some Windows Firewall settings, and was able to increase the read speed on my drives by 50-100%, however, that was not enough to prevent stuttering during video playback (e.g. I'm still below 40mb/s). I also purchased a network switch in order to eliminate the combo Comcast router/modem from the chain. Still having the same stuttering issues when playing from a drive within DrivePool, but when I simply remove the drive from the pool, and access the same file without changing anything else, video playback works just fine. Something just isn't working correctly with DrivePool and the rest of the system. Any other suggestions? I'm tempted to just get a dedicated NAS and bypass the need for DrivePool altogether...