Srvr2012 R2 backup fails on pool

Willem

Question

Hello, I'm using drivepool on my 2012 R2 server with Essentials Experience role enabled and having difficulty with systembackup. I see the following messages in eventviewer when the backup is supposed to start:

Event12289, VSS:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{077cfcbb-1ed5-44c5-b960-5ff569f2e170} - 0000000000000170,0x0053c008,0000008D8BF10080,0,0000008D8B87D1D0,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80820001, The bootfile is too small to support persistent snapshots.

The mentioned volume is my pooldrive. On other volumes i'm having no problems with the VSS.

Drivepool ver 2.0.0.420

14 answers to this question

Can we just check how you have set up the backup.

With Drivepool, you need to set backup by browsing the serverpoolpart folders, rather than trying to back up the pool itself.

When you say browse the serverpoolpart folders, are you saying browse the individual drives of the pool for the folders and back those up?

I think davey means to say that you can _not_ browse to the driveletter that designates the Pool but rather need to browse to the actual physical drives that comprise the Pool(s) and, if you only need to backup the Pool and not the (other) files on those drives that are not part of the Pool, to the serverpoolpart folders on those physical drives.

Willem, I am not sure about this: WHS Backup allows you to restore in two ways: (a) individual files and (B) whole drives / systems. A Pool is not a drive. It's a virtual drive, sure, but it is not the same thing. A bare metal restore would then try to restore files to a virtual drive for which no driver (DP) is present yet. Another issue is that Pools may well be in excess of 2 TB and WHS Server Backup does not support backups of volumes in excess of 2GB.

Backup from physical drives works as expected. I understand why a baremetal restore wouldn't work but for individual files the drivepool behaviour isn't as straightforward as I would have thought. Maybe something for the faq, or am i the first to do backups?

Changed the backup to the physical drives, will report back the result tomorrow. It isn't a really intuitive way to do backup. Can you explain why you can't point to the pooldrive?

That's a loaded question.

The specific reason is that the built in Windows Backup relies solely/exclusiviely on the "Volume Shadowcopy Services". This feature is not documented at all by Microsoft. So adding support for it is nearly impossible by itself.  Because of that, we cannot support backups or previous versions on the Pool volume, unfortunately.  

But don't get us wrong, we would love to, but it will be a serious investiture of time even figure out how to support it, let alone implementing it properly.

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/1.X/Manual?Section=Using%20Server%20Backup%20to%20Backup%20the%20Pool

That's a loaded question.

The specific reason is that the built in Windows Backup relies solely/exclusiviely on the "Volume Shadowcopy Services". This feature is not documented at all by Microsoft. So adding support for it is nearly impossible by itself.  Because of that, we cannot support backups or previous versions on the Pool volume, unfortunately.  

But don't get us wrong, we would love to, but it will be a serious investiture of time even figure out how to support it, let alone implementing it properly.

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/1.X/Manual?Section=Using%20Server%20Backup%20to%20Backup%20the%20Pool

I am sorry but i just dong believe this.

You can download the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) to get info, and build for VSS. All of the info you need to know how to use it and implement if should be in the SDK.

Here are some useful links:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384649%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://code.google.com/p/libvshadow/

And since the drivepool disk itself is a virtual disk, im pretty sure that microsoft has made something that can effectively allow you to implement VSS.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd323654(v=vs.85).aspx

If i am wrong that the SDK is not what you need, then please tell me what you are actually missing.

Welll thank you for trying to help.

However, the issue here is that those links are how to read from the VSS service/files, and not how to support them ON the file system. And that's the issue.

I'll make sure Alex sees the links, just in case they turn out to be helpful though.

Though that last link is for the VHD file format (used by HyperV primarily)

I too have been experiencing this issue with Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 (WSE12R2).  If I uninstall SB DrivePool completely and remove my Lian Li EX-503 external drive enclosure from my system, Windows Server Backup runs flawlessly and reliably.

However upon installing the latest production release of SB DP on the WSE12R2 box and reattaching the EX-503, the WSB completes unsuccessfully and consistently makes reference to:

the bootfile is too small to support persistent snapshots.

Not only am I not trying to backup the Drivepool itself, I'm also not trying to backup to the Drivepool.  Rather my WSB runs and backs up my OS to a designated HDD.

I hate being unable to run SB DrivePool but it's frustrating.