Can't access files in pool. Can't reset drive/folder permissions because pool isn't allowing access.

JohnH

Question

Drivepool has always worked great for me until today. All the sudden I can't access any files in the pool, and can't add/delete anything. Basically I can see an icon for every file, but when I try to open it it says I don't have permissions. I tried scanning the pool for errors, but it won't let me because I don't have access to the drive. I tried scanning individual drives in the pool and they scanned fine with no errors. I tried changing security permissions for the drive to Everyone, Administrator, etc...but since I'm not allowed to modify the drive I can't modify the permissions.

Anything else I can try? This is on Windows 10 which I just upgraded to a few weeks ago (again everything was fine until today, even with the upgrade to W10.)

accessdenied.jpg

15 answers to this question

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that but it doesn't work and I get the same error. It seems like I am not able to modify the pool drive at all, so any attempt at changing something like permissions results in an error saying I don't have access.

F is the pool and I can see everything in the pool in terms of the icons but cant open anything or change permissions and even the icons aren't showing a preview for example if it is a jpg, I assume because theres no access to that data for some reason. I can post more info tonight when Im back at my computer. F:Backups was just the first folder on the F drive that it (unsuccessfully) attempted to apply the permission changes to.

I have also had issues with drives in the pool disappearing. I am running several ssd's in the pool. And in researching my current dilemma I found that apparently there is a known issue with Windows 10 in which SSD's randomly disappear. One thread I read said it has to do with the SATA ports changing but that's a bit over my head.

21 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Sorry, I am at loss here. Can you access the backup folders on the underlying drives?

I can access the files on one of the underlying drives. The others will show me the folders/files but no preview and I can't open them or modify them.

17 hours ago, TerryMundy said:

Try launching PowerShell as Administrator.  I just ran it on my system and now the Admin account is the owner of everything.

takeown /f F:\ /R /D Y

Let me know if it was successful for you.

I will give this a try as soon as I can get the drives to show up again. Right now none are showing up. Maybe the Icy-Dock 8-drive bay I'm running is on the fritz.

9 minutes ago, JohnH said:

I will give this a try as soon as I can get the drives to show up again. Right now none are showing up. Maybe the Icy-Dock 8-drive bay I'm running is on the fritz.

OK I got them to appear again by running Windows Memory Diagnostic and rebooting (well I rebooted twice cuz the first time it bluescreened lol)

18 hours ago, TerryMundy said:

Try launching PowerShell as Administrator.  I just ran it on my system and now the Admin account is the owner of everything.

takeown /f F:\ /R /D Y

Let me know if it was successful for you.

Not sure if I did that correctly, is that what you were saying to do?

Image1.jpg

I initially did the simple take ownership process (cross referenced above in this thread) and that worked for a while but then I started getting similar access denied errors.  When I did the full process (as mentioned here: https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455) on the DP drive itself it worked. 

Few notes:

1. Important to do on the DP drive itself (not a folder within the drive).

2. Seems important to delete the erroneous/existing elements in the permissions tab and then add back in  the default permissions (Administrators, SYSTEM etc). 

3. The new permissions will be inherited by the underlying drives that make up the DP drive. 

So far (crossing fingers) things are stable and I get no access denied errors.  Also all my LAN shares and RDP items survived the process intact.