Can't fix error: File distribution is not optimal

jonomite

Question

I recently added a large external hard drive to my drive pool that has allowed me to enable file duplication. After all the dust settled after the duplication, however, I am now getting the message "File distribution is not optimal." Clicking on "re-balance" results in the same message.

Is this truly an error, or is it simply the result of the balancing plug-ins I have selected, the particular folder sizes, and amount of space on my drive pool?

Many thanks.

4 answers to this question

Could be any of those things, without more information it is impossible to tell though. Just a heads up: Is the external drive connected through USB? AFAIK, USB-attached HDDs are not advised by Christopher and IIRC there are a few threads/posts here from people who got the Pool messed up due to USB-attached HDDs. The issue is, I think, that USB connections may drop sometimes.

5 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Could be any of those things, without more information it is impossible to tell though. Just a heads up: Is the external drive connected through USB? AFAIK, USB-attached HDDs are not advised by Christopher and IIRC there are a few threads/posts here from people who got the Pool messed up due to USB-attached HDDs. The issue is, I think, that USB connections may drop sometimes.

Thanks for the response. I know I am using the default balancing settings. Also, here's a screenshot of my dashboard if it's helpful. I'm happy to provide more information. 

1.jpg

First of all I want to ask if there is a reason you use those disks external? If you can put them in your system I would do that. 
Secondly it can help just to change something in your balancer rules, save it and revert it back. Then try to balance again.

you also might to consider (in case you keep the drives external) to use the order placement plugin. Set it that your original files go to the internal disk and the duplication files to the external disks.

@OrozarBE: No, I don't think you can use the ordered placement pluging to direct duplicates that way. Hierarchical Pools will allow you to do that though.

@OP: This is weird, and I wouldn't know how to help with this for sure. I *think* it is caused by the fact that the external drive is larger than all the rest of the Pool. To be sure, you can only store 3.6TB of duplicated data (net basis, 7.2 total) and 0.9TB of that external drive will not be used for duplicated files. I suspect that is where the issue lies. DP will try to maximise storage capacity but will never be able to use that part. If you could attach another drive to the Pool, even if just a 1TB HDD, then I suspect it will resolve.