My Rackmount Server

Christopher (Drashna)

Question

To get this started apparently:

My server was kind of piecemeal constructed.

I recently purchased a 42U HP Rack from a local company (via Craigslist), for super cheap ($50, so literally couldn't pass it up)

Sophos UTM (Home): 

Case: Antec ISK 110 VESA case,

Mobo (SoC): ASRock RACK J1900D2Y

RAM: 4GB of non-ECC RAM

OS Drive: Samsung 850 Pro 120GB SSD 

Storage Server:

Case: SuperMicro 847E26-R1K28LPB

CPU: AMD FX-8120  Intel Xeon E3 1245v3 (link)

MoBo: ASRock 990FX Extreme3  Supermicro MBD-X10SAT-O (link)

RAM: 2x8GB Crucial ECC

GFX: nVidia geForce 9400  Intel HD 4600 (on processor GFX)

PSU: Built in, 2x redundant power supplies (1280W 80+ Gold) 

OS Drive: Crucial MX200 256GB SSD

Storage Pool: 146TB:  4x 4TB (Seagate NAS ST4000VN000) + 8x 4TB (WD40EFRX) + 12x 8TB Seagate Archive (ST8000AS0002), 2x 8TB Seagate  Barracudas (ST8000DM004), 2x 128GB OCZ Vertex 4s

Misc Storage: 500GB, used for temp files (downloads)

HDD Controller card: IBM ServeRAID M1015, cross flashed to "IR Mode" (RAID options, used to pass through disks only), plus an Intel SAS Expander card 

USB: 2TB Seagate Backup Plus for Server Backup (system drive, and system files) using a WD Green EARS 

NVR (Network Video Record, aka IP camera box) via BlueIris:

Case: Norco ITX-S4 

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130T

MoBo: ASRock Rack E3C226D2I 

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill 

GFX: ASPEED 2300

PSU: 450W 1U 

OS Drive: 128GB SSD, Crucial M550

Storage Pool: 2x4TB Toshiba HDD

HyperV VM Lab:

Case: Supermicro SYS-6016T-NTF (1U case) 

CPU: Intel Xeon 5560  (x2, hyperthreading disabled)

MoBo: Supermicro X8DTU 

RAM: 64GBs (8x8GB) Hynix Registered ECC (DDR3-1333)

GFX: ASPEED 2300

PSU: 560W 1U 

OS Drive: 160GB HDD 

Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, using Data Deduplication for VMs

Emby Server: 

Case: Unknown (1U case) 

CPU: Dual Intel Xeon x5660's (hardware fairy swung by)

MoBo: Supermicro X8DTi 

RAM: 20GB (5x4GB) Samsung Registered ECC

GFX: Matrox (Onboard)

PSU: 560W 1U 

OS Drive: 64GB SSD,

Storage: 128GB  (cache, metadata, transcoding temp) 

Netgear GS724T Smart Switch

24 port, Gigabit, Managed Switch (one port is burned out already, but it was used). 

Dell 17" keyboard and monitor tray (used, damaged, propped up). 

Images here: http://imgur.com/a/WRhZf

8zIjiOu.jpg

Here is my network hardware.  Not a great image, but that's the 24 port, managed switch, a punchout block, waaay too long cables, cable modem and Sophos UTM box.

D2ipgDU.jpg

Misc drawers and unused spares. 

uCBdIWA.jpg

And my servers. HyperV system in the 1U, and my storage server in the 4U. And the Cyberpower UPS at the bottom. 

What you don't see is the NVR box, as it's been having issues, and I've been troubleshooting those issues. 

After some Raid Configurations like StorageSpaces and Snapraid i tried Stablebit Drivepool and i like it.. will buy it. At the moment i have 19 days for trial.

Case: 2x Sharkoon Rebel 9 Economy 

CPU:  Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz

MoBo: Asus V Gene Z77

RAM: 4x8GB Kingston Hyper X Black

PSU:  Enermax Revolution 1050 Watt

OS Drive: Crucial M4 SSD 512 GB

2 Storage Controller:

1. IBM M1015 @ 9211-8i IT v.20
  2. IBM 9211-8i IT v.20

HDD:

• 4x Toshiba HDWE140 4TB
  • 3x Samsung HD154UI 1,5TB
  • 1x Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
  • 2x WD30EZRX-00M 3TB
  • 1x WD20EARS-07M 2TB
  • 5x WD10EAVS-00D 1B
  • ---> 33,2TB Pool

With two cases (stand together connected only via long Power and long Sata Cables) and my two controllers i can add 20 drives.

One case has 4x3 Icydock Hotswap Bays. The other at the moment only internal HDDs.

That NUC 6i3 with 2x4TB WD40EZRX and 16GB DDR4 Ram, 2TB 2,5" and Samsung 950 Pro 256GB is for 24/7 usage. 24/7 Server with 3 VMs and Windows 10 as host os.

I do all my office/internet work with the NUC, big storage server is running only plex server.

fullsizerenderuckow.jpg

With two cases (stand together connected only via long Power and long Sata Cables) and my two controllers i can add 20 drives.

One case has 4x3 Icydock Hotswap Bays. The other at the moment only internal HDDs.

I'm not sure if it would really help, but they *may*. 

JBOD Power: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101800

SAS "adapters": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133056

But regardless, very nice setup!

Here's my Server that finally replaced my Synology NAS

CASE: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1

MB: Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H-CF

CPU: Xeon E3 1245 v3

RAM: 16Gb G.Skill PC3-1600 DDR3

PS: Antec HCG-620M power supply

OS HD: Toshiba 256GB SSD

POOL1: 4 x 2TB WD RED - Media and office files with Duplication

POOL2 1 x 2TB WD RED - PC Backups with no Duplication

Backup Software: Crashplan for offsite backup of data.  Macrium Reflect for PC Backups

Media Server:  Emby

Other Software: BIONC - Atlas@home and World Computing Grid projects

Future plan is to shrink the server's footprint with an ASRock Rack m-itx MT-C224 Motherboard and a Fractal Node 304 case.

post-2176-0-27310800-1472793544_thumb.jpg

Here's my Server that finally replaced my Synology NAS

CASE: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1

MB: Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H-CF

CPU: Xeon E3 1245 v3

RAM: 16Gb G.Skill PC3-1600 DDR3

PS: Antec HCG-620M power supply

OS HD: Toshiba 256GB SSD

POOL1: 4 x 2TB WD RED - Media and office files with Duplication

POOL2 1 x 2TB WD RED - PC Backups with no Duplication

Backup Software: Crashplan for offsite backup of data.  Macrium Reflect for PC Backups

Media Server:  Emby

Other Software: BIONC - Atlas@home and World Computing Grid projects

Future plan is to shrink the server's footprint with an ASRock Rack m-itx MT-C224 Motherboard and a Fractal Node 304 case.

Very nice system! 

ASRock RACK are great boards and i have several. 

though, Emby crashes if I run folding@home for long periods of time. It's really weird. (especially as that system has 2x 6 core CPUs with hyperthreading (so 24 threads). Yes, it's overkill).

I limit my BOINC to 20% of my CPU to minimize heat and power consumption.  So far, no Emby crashes.

Well, I'll probably have to try something other than Folding@Home then.  I set it to "medium" and it still causes issues.  

That or pursue it on the Emby forums.  Or set up a VM. Or use something else.

Question for Drashna - your storage server could run Emby (and other stuff) as well, right? I was looking at Dell R210/610 on ebay to use for a dedicated server but I think it may not be needed. I am also getting a storage server with Xeon L5630 and plan to use that to run DrivePool as well as Emby, it should be enough right?

Question for Drashna - your storage server could run Emby (and other stuff) as well, right? I was looking at Dell R210/610 on ebay to use for a dedicated server but I think it may not be needed. I am also getting a storage server with Xeon L5630 and plan to use that to run DrivePool as well as Emby, it should be enough right?

Yes, it could. But it's running a lot. and I've had some weird performance issues with it (I really need to wipe it... but it's a domain controller...) 

And yeah, the dell or the listed Xeon should do well for Emby. Especially if you're only doing a couple of transcoded streams at a time (if you're using Emby Theater, it will play from the network shares, if it can)

Well at last i can throw my 2p to this discussion :) about racks

New Rack (27U) - obvious work in progress  :P

Boris and my Nas - Boris fits nicely in the bottom of the rack below the bottom switch taking up a smidge under 10U - NAS will sit on a shelf along with a few other things

I will post the spec etc when i have it done - with a few more pics i guess - will be nice to get the room tidy as well!!!!

Things have moved on a bit today

Boris and Karloff now installed

Lights dim in Warrington !

Have Essential installed on Boris - although think i will start again as the default language pack was Chinese and have a few lingering Chinese named folders which the system things are important but i have no idea what they are :)

Why is the image upload total so low? 2 meg is tiny

...and I STILL have to do this after adding a new disk.

Well, for the dashboard stuff ..... make sure all the WSE services are running on the service. Especially the "management" service. If it's not, see if the "Block level backup service" is running or not.  If not .... try running "wbadmin delete catalog" on the server (from an admin command prompt), and then re-setup the server backup. 

And to make a point here.. I have to do this every f****ing time I add a disk, as the M1015 card I have enumerates the disks before the built in Intel controller .... and it causes this issue. 

It's annoying, frustrating, and because Microsoft "cannot reproduce it", I get ignored. Despite the fact that I can reproduce this issue AT WILL. 

Storage Server:

Storage Pool: 131TB: 

Christopher (Drashna), can I ask non-usual (in this thread) question?

But first of all sorry for not very good English, it's not my native language.

131TB of storage are very LOT of data (even if it not all 131TB full of data)), how you organize it logically?  To prevent data loss and etc.

For example, Microsoft storage spaces looks good for this ( efficient space use, different raid-like types of volumes, etc), but still have "one entry point" - in case of storage pool fail, all data, no matter simple, parity, or mirror volume will fail. And in my practice such pool fails was take place.

DrivePool - good, but not in all cases (no support for VSS, other limitation).

Also backup - how to backup such amount data? CrashPlan or BackBlaze can, but restore will be very slow, often need to restore ASAP.

So, if it's not secret (or keep deeply secrets but tell basic info:)) question is - how you organize storage logically on storage server? What software use to backup, mirror-raid, etc.

Christopher (Drashna), can I ask non-usual (in this thread) question?

But first of all sorry for not very good English, it's not my native language.

131TB of storage are very LOT of data (even if it not all 131TB full of data)), how you organize it logically?  To prevent data loss and etc.

For example, Microsoft storage spaces looks good for this ( efficient space use, different raid-like types of volumes, etc), but still have "one entry point" - in case of storage pool fail, all data, no matter simple, parity, or mirror volume will fail. And in my practice such pool fails was take place.

DrivePool - good, but not in all cases (no support for VSS, other limitation).

Also backup - how to backup such amount data? CrashPlan or BackBlaze can, but restore will be very slow, often need to restore ASAP.

So, if it's not secret (or keep deeply secrets but tell basic info:)) question is - how you organize storage logically on storage server? What software use to backup, mirror-raid, etc.

I enable duplication for EVERYTHING. Meaning that there are two copies of all of the files on the pool.  So while my pool is 131TBs, it's ~66TB of usable space. 

Since everything is stored on NTFS (well, ReFS) volumes... if one disk fails, the rest are still completely readable (in fact all but one could fail, but the data on that drive will still be accessible). 

As for backing up the data, "carefully".  I can't run backblaze because they don't support server OS's.  Period. 

I don't use Crashplan as it had "issues" on my system that made it unusable (and ... ugh, Java). 

Honestly, I'd probably just use StableBit CloudDrive on some unlimited account to back up everything. And either pool it and let the pool take care of this, or use something like SyncToy or Free File Sync to manage the files. 

Hi,

I have been really busy with my new setup and i've managed to fit the AMD Ryzen under water cooled into a 2u case.

On my first attempt while under benchmark the cpu would hit 65c to 70c which i wasnt overall pleased with but was happy that it was holding it's own but i wanted to improve.

So after a bit of googling i found a corsair H5 SFF water cooler which is desgined for Mini ITX Boards now this does not the fit the standard AM4 CPU Cooler Bracket but i am very fortunate to own an Ultimaker 2+ Extended 3D Printer so after a handful or prototypes i managed to desgin a new bracket that also fits the original backplate which allows the H5 to be installed very snug.

The new temp are idle under 30c and under bench around 55C which is a great improvement and I am more than happy with.  So there we have it AMD Ryzen in a 2U case under Water Cooled.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/5-my-rackmount-server/&do=findComment&comment=108

The Corsair H5 SFF is a great little CPU cooler for small spaces as you'll see in the photos everything fits very snug but it makes for a great machine.

Time to show off my new system. honestly a bit overboard for me but don't want to have to do much with it for a while

case supermicro 36 3.5" bay 4u  CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB

MOBO also supermicro X9DRH-iF

Processor 2 Intel Xeon E5-2660 V1 @ 2.2GHz 8-core 16 threads each

Memory is 128GB ddr3 ecc memory

HBA is a LSI 9211-8i

1280W redundant power supply PWS-1K28P-SQ

still breaking her in but I'm sure my "linux isos" will love their new home.

I have a 2tb red drive for downloads before being copied to my pool, my pool has snapraid 2 drive parity using 2 wd red 8tb i shucked from best buy.  the data array is 4 8tb seagate archive drives, a 4tb hgst desktar nas drive, 2 4tb wd red and 2 3tb wdred.  home internet is 1gb/250mb fiber optic.  running radarr, sonarr, deluge, sabnzbd, and plex on it.  got some plans for virtualizing a home lab to play around to pick up some IT skills to complement my Computer Science degree

Time to show off my new system. honestly a bit overboard for me but don't want to have to do much with it for a while

case supermicro 36 3.5" bay 4u  CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB

MOBO also supermicro X9DRH-iF

Processor 2 Intel Xeon E5-2660 V1 @ 2.2GHz 8-core 16 threads each

Memory is 128GB ddr3 ecc memory

HBA is a LSI 9211-8i

1280W redundant power supply PWS-1K28P-SQ

still breaking her in but I'm sure my "linux isos" will love their new home.

I have a 2tb red drive for downloads before being copied to my pool, my pool has snapraid 2 drive parity using 2 wd red 8tb i shucked from best buy.  the data array is 4 8tb seagate archive drives, a 4tb hgst desktar nas drive, 2 4tb wd red and 2 3tb wdred.  home internet is 1gb/250mb fiber optic.  running radarr, sonarr, deluge, sabnzbd, and plex on it.  got some plans for virtualizing a home lab to play around to pick up some IT skills to complement my Computer Science degree

I love that case (same one I have).  Great system overall. :)

And yeah, I know what you mean by overboard/overkill.  But on the plus side, you know that it will handle everything you throw at it, without problem.

And it looks like a very similar setup to mine, though, emby rather than plex.  Otherwise, looks great!