File distribution not optimal, Balancing Warnings.

TR3JACK

Question

Hi,

I've recently had to rebuild my pool due to a some hard drive failures and decided that I would try to setup a Hierarchical Pool.

As my replacement drives are new I only want to use them for duplicate data from the main Pool and non-critical data.

So I created 3 pools, 1 parent and 2 children shown below.

image.png.04dbf07ce26078655d8808a79e4e1fd4.png

Now

1. I want to duplicated my files from the main pool to the first child Pool 1.1 so I use the ordered file placement plugin to drive that.

2. Some files I want to duplicate everywhere so I set their parent folder to duplicate x3 so that the duplicates get pushed from Drive 1 to Pool 1.1 & Pool 1.2. In the child Pool 1.1 I set the same folder to duplicate x2 to duplicate across drives 2 & 3. Then finally in Pool 1.2 I set the pool duplication to x2 to replicate from Drive4 to Cloud Drive5 and use the drive limiter so that only duplicates are created on the cloud drive5

3. Lastly I created a root folder in my main pool where I do not need duplication. I use the file placement rules to always send this data to pool 1.1 as I want to keep Drive1 free for important files. 

All this is shown in the configuration table below.

image.png.c34c5cf054f738f398c20643d798947f.png

On my child pools everything seems fine and I get no warnings or errors.

My main issue is on the Parent Pool,  that when the pool Balances I get the following message, 

image.png.942c214cf2908bb46c852a5bb58d0788.png

And in the file placement setting I see the following message. 

image.png.d2dbf69f3c57e998096c8daf30236825.png

I also see this in the main UI showing the target for the next Balance, but i am unsure where its calculating this from. 

image.png.dd7c10da223ca0adb0bfbd1a140a9ef7.png

As far as I can tell, everything is actually operating as I expect but I dont understand what I am seeing.

Can someone help me with understanding what I am seeing before I start to refill the drives?

Thanks in Advance,

T.

Drivepool Ver. 2.2.3.1019

CloudDrive Ver. 1.1.3.1221

O.S. WHS 2011

Edited by TR3JACK
Added Software Versions

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet