Google Drive is suddenly marked as experimental provider?

red

Question

20 answers to this question

My read of this is that Google's API keys have a query limit per key and they are approaching that limit, and their requests to have the limit raised have thus far been unanswered. There is quite a bit of overreaction here, though, since you can simply use your own API key regardless (see: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147). If you're using your own key, the limit will not affect you. Worst case scenario here is that everyone will simply have to provide their own personal API keys. You won't lose access to your data. Note that anyone can get an API key for google cloud, and the default limits on personal keys are more than enough for a personal CloudDrive installation. 

I think that it is a rather frustrating move on Google's part not to simply raise the limits when their developers are successful, though.

In any case, unless I am mistaken here, this isn't a major problem. It just removes some ease of use. 

If you want a response directly from the developer, you'll almost certainly get one much quicker by submitting the question to the contact form (https://stablebit.com/Contact). Christopher only checks the forums occasionally. They're mostly for user to user help and advice. You are, of course, welcome to express whatever concerns you have--I am just providing the solution to your problem.

I agree that the experimental provider classification was sudden, but I don't really agree that it's vague. It explains exactly what the problem is. The last time there was a problem with Google, they posted an explanation here on the forums and they were roundly criticized for not posting a warning in the code itself (https://old.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/by4yc7/stablebit_clouddrive_warning_do_not_use_unless/). So they did that this time, and they're also being criticized for it. C'est la vie, I suppose.

An API key from Google is free, yes. Anyone who uses rClone already has to supply their own API key, as rClone does not have global keys like CloudDrive to begin with. 

EDIT:

@Christopher (Drashna) - Just tagging you so you get a notification about this request. 

3 hours ago, ksnell said:

@srcrist Followed this wiki you posted to get my key, modify json file, etc, but how do I know it's working (using my new key)?

The bottom of the guide says: "The next connection that you make to Google Drive from StableBit CloudDrive's New Drive tab will use your new API keys." so does that mean I need to: detach my drive, delete the connection and completely re-setup and then it will pick up the new key?

I'm actually not 100% sure on that one myself. I'm pretty sure that simply using "reauthorize" would work as well, but I think we'd need to ask Christopher or Alex to be sure. Sounds like RG9400 has tested it and seen that it works, though. So that's a good indication that you can just do that. 

Worst case scenario, yeah, detaching the drive and establishing the Google Drive connection from scratch should use the new API key. 

srcrist, I think we can be cautious and we paid for that software so we have the right to know, preferably, directly from developer what it all means. I am concerned, because the last time provider got marked as experimental it was beginning of the end, not just for API key, but for data for a lot of people. ACD, am i right? This warning inside the software is vague imo. 

Anyway, this Google API request is conducted at Google Cloud Platform. Is this free?

On 12/12/2019 at 3:36 AM, srcrist said:

My read of this is that Google's API keys have a query limit per key and they are approaching that limit, and their requests to have the limit raised have thus far been unanswered. There is quite a bit of overreaction here, though, since you can simply use your own API key regardless (see: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147). If you're using your own key, the limit will not affect you. Worst case scenario here is that everyone will simply have to provide their own personal API keys. You won't lose access to your data. Note that anyone can get an API key for google cloud, and the default limits on personal keys are more than enough for a personal CloudDrive installation. 

I think that it is a rather frustrating move on Google's part not to simply raise the limits when their developers are successful, though.

In any case, unless I am mistaken here, this isn't a major problem. It just removes some ease of use. 

@srcrist Followed this wiki you posted to get my key, modify json file, etc, but how do I know it's working (using my new key)?

The bottom of the guide says: "The next connection that you make to Google Drive from StableBit CloudDrive's New Drive tab will use your new API keys." so does that mean I need to: detach my drive, delete the connection and completely re-setup and then it will pick up the new key?

3 hours ago, ksnell said:

I just "Re-Authorized" the drive. You can check by going to the API console, and you should see queries for the Google Drive API -- the Quotas tab is what I am using to monitor it. 

@srcrist@RG9400@ksnell
Thank you guys for bringing it up!
One question - are those individual keys for all configured Google Drives? This entry in %PROGRAMDATA%\StableBit CloudDrive\ProviderSettings.json is a global entry, so what will happen if I will setup the keys for Google Account A while in CloudDrive I have configured Google Drive A, Google Account B and so on?

Based on the fact it worked so far with StableBit keys - I would assume this should work, but does anybody tried that? Last thing I want to mess my CD setup.... :|

I've got the same question, I tried creating an api key with my own private google account but the drive I've been using so far is connected to a 'work' account with almost unlimited storage space. So far I can't access my previously created google drive of 8TB., I can create a new drive of 10GB in the account I've created the api-key in.

When I log in to my earlier created google drive with my work account I can still see the previously attached cloud-drive of 8TB, so it's still there and accessible. 

With my work account I can't create a google project..

8 hours ago, msq said:

@srcrist@RG9400@ksnell
Thank you guys for bringing it up!
One question - are those individual keys for all configured Google Drives? This entry in %PROGRAMDATA%\StableBit CloudDrive\ProviderSettings.json is a global entry, so what will happen if I will setup the keys for Google Account A while in CloudDrive I have configured Google Drive A, Google Account B and so on?

Based on the fact it worked so far with StableBit keys - I would assume this should work, but does anybody tried that? Last thing I want to mess my CD setup.... :|

So an API key is for an application. It's what the app uses to contact Google and make requests of their service. So your new API key will be used by the application to request access to all of your drives--regardless of the Google account that they are on. The API key isn't the authorization to use a given account. It's just the key that the application uses to request access to the data on whatever account you sign-in with. 

As an obvious example, Stablebit's default key for CloudDrive was obviously created on their Google account, but you were still using it to access your drives before changing it to your own key right now.

When you set it up, you'll see that you still have to sign in and approve your app. It'll even give you a warning, since, unlike actual CloudDrive, Google can't actually vouch for the app requesting access with your key. 

4 hours ago, Edwin999 said:

So far I can't access my previously created google drive of 8TB., I can create a new drive of 10GB in the account I've created the api-key in.

This just isn't how an API key works. Are you sure you're logging in with the correct account for each drive once you've added the new key? You don't log in with the account you used to create the key. You still log in with whatever credentials you used to create each drive. 

Can anybody help with using my own API key? The site doesn't look like it does in the screenshots anymore. Google must have udpated it. I have no idea what an API key is and I've been reading this for a half hour trying to figure it out.

When I go to credentials, there is no "OAuth consent scren" If I back out of the API, there is stuff about OAuth consent screen, but it's asking me about internal vs. public stuff that the guide doesn't mention at all. I really don't want to screw this up, because I use this drive for storage but it is attached to a website I actually use.

Looking over it again, none of the steps in that guide bring me to the pages suggested. I am extremely worried about my data right now, and I don't want to crash my website doing something stupid. Can anyone walk me through this step-by-step?

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:35 PM, srcrist said:

So an API key is for an application. It's what the app uses to contact Google and make requests of their service. So your new API key will be used by the application to request access to all of your drives--regardless of the Google account that they are on. The API key isn't the authorization to use a given account. It's just the key that the application uses to request access to the data on whatever account you sign-in with. 

As an obvious example, Stablebit's default key for CloudDrive was obviously created on their Google account, but you were still using it to access your drives before changing it to your own key right now.

When you set it up, you'll see that you still have to sign in and approve your app. It'll even give you a warning, since, unlike actual CloudDrive, Google can't actually vouch for the app requesting access with your key. 

This just isn't how an API key works. Are you sure you're logging in with the correct account for each drive once you've added the new key? You don't log in with the account you used to create the key. You still log in with whatever credentials you used to create each drive. 

HI Srcrist.

Could you help me locate the original post where getting your own google api key is located?

I think i did this about a year ago but wanted to check.

the provider setting should have changed away from default but want to make sure.

2 hours ago, Historybuff said:

HI Srcrist.

Could you help me locate the original post where getting your own google api key is located?

I think i did this about a year ago but wanted to check.

the provider setting should have changed away from default but want to make sure.

Hi @Historybuff,

The wiki is at the following link. http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147

I did this a while ago, so I don't remember if there are extra steps, but it's all free and works great. Once you change the key in the json file, you just need to re-authorize the clouddrive you want to use that key.

17 hours ago, JulesTop said:

Hi @Historybuff,

The wiki is at the following link. http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147

I did this a while ago, so I don't remember if there are extra steps, but it's all free and works great. Once you change the key in the json file, you just need to re-authorize the clouddrive you want to use that key.

Thanks.

Can somebody tell me how we re-authorized?  I followed this guide:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147

but now i no longer see Google Drive listed under my available connectable providers?  Not sure what i did wrong.\

Edit:  I've found the Reauthorize button, but Google Drive is now missing and i can no longer create a new drive?

https://i.imgur.com/7iBJvUs.png

Edited by slim94