Unable to enumerate folder

Edward

Question

I'm working on folder/file placement duplication and for my largest folder(s) in my pool I'm getting 'Unable to enumerate folder - access is denied' error in DP.

image.png.3869b44c296fa1164afc8d64779c114f.png

However in Windows explorer (and other programs) as well as over the LAN I can access all the folders without issue. 

Where do I start troubleshooting this issue please?

3 answers to this question

Hi Edward,

Maybe I can pass on to you what I did to solve that same problem last week.

There are a couple of ways to take full control.  One is through a PowerShell command and the other is using a GUI doing the same thing I suspect.  Of course my work on a computer is based that we have a mouse so throw away the keyboard.  Haha  Google search for Winaero Tweaker and install.  Once install look in the left side pane and find the section Context Menu.  You want to add Take Ownership to the context menu of Windows Explorer by ticking the blank box.  I don't recall if you need to restart the computer or not.  But work in Windows Explorer left pane and find the drive letter that has a problem.  Right click the drop down to Take Ownership.  You may have to login as an administrator but the Admin account should be the owner anyway.

That should help get you going.  I did find that sometimes I had to work deep in the folder structer and work my way back up to the root before it worked all the way through.

Good luck and if you need help with the PowerShell commands ping me and I'll help you with what my hours upon hours of searching revealed.  I will try to reply within 12 to 18 hours.

Best regards,

Terry

15 hours ago, TerryMundy said:

Hi Edward,

Maybe I can pass on to you what I did to solve that same problem last week.

There are a couple of ways to take full control.  One is through a PowerShell command and the other is using a GUI doing the same thing I suspect.  Of course my work on a computer is based that we have a mouse so throw away the keyboard.  Haha  Google search for Winaero Tweaker and install.  Once install look in the left side pane and find the section Context Menu.  You want to add Take Ownership to the context menu of Windows Explorer by ticking the blank box.  I don't recall if you need to restart the computer or not.  But work in Windows Explorer left pane and find the drive letter that has a problem.  Right click the drop down to Take Ownership.  You may have to login as an administrator but the Admin account should be the owner anyway.

That should help get you going.  I did find that sometimes I had to work deep in the folder structer and work my way back up to the root before it worked all the way through.

Good luck and if you need help with the PowerShell commands ping me and I'll help you with what my hours upon hours of searching revealed.  I will try to reply within 12 to 18 hours.

Best regards,

Terry

HI Terry

Many thanks for your most helpful and comprehensive response.  Much appreciated. 

In fact your message, and in particular 'take ownership' got me thinking and remembered that I had encountered this before. The solution proved quite simple and indeed worked just fine in my present case. 

In the previous case the issue arose when I moved a hard disc to a different computer.  So I recalled that I had also moved the discs that contains my driverpool to a different machine that was some time ago and all has been well.  However on close looking at the permissions for the 'denied access' folder (as reported in DP) they were different to the other folders in the DP.   The other folders were created after I had moved the discs.

So I simply changed the 'owner' (within File Explorer) to the same owner as seen in the fully accessible folders.

The path to this in File Explorer is Folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner > Change. 

What appears to have occurred is that, even though I 'shared' the folder in File Explorer when I swapped the discs to a new machine, the 'owner' stayed the same and DP retained the old 'owner' leading to 'Access Denied'.  Given that DP was reading/writing to all the folders in the relevant parent folder and I could read/write to all folders in File Explorer and other utilities (in particular RDP, I assumed all was well. 

This is amplified by the fact that when I migrated the DP licence to the new machine, DP very happily rebuilt the pool without reporting any conflict in 'owners'. 

So I would recommend @Christopher (Drashna) have a look at this and if I'm correct ask the developers to implement a routine to check 'owner' consistency when a user migrates a pool.

The Winaero app looks interesting.  I'll have a play with it.

Thanks again for responding.

E

edit: I had to reboot to propagate the changed 'owner'.