Best way to upgrade drive?

Remcroft

Question

Hi,

Is there an option to copy instead of move the data when removing a drive? I have two 6TB drives that are full, I'd like to replace them with a single 12TB drive. The 6TB drives will be the backup copy so I'd like to keep the data on them to avoid losing data if the new drive dies part way through the removal.

Thanks for your help.

7 answers to this question

So will you retain the 6TB in the Pool or keep them separately? I don't think DP supports that by default. Assuming you have no duplication and want to take them out (they would not record any changes/updates then though), what I can imagine you could do though is:

1. Stop the DP service.
2. On each of the 6TB drives, MOVE the data out of the hidden poolpart.* folder to a place outside of it (e.g. contents of D:\Poolpart.*\ to D:\OldPool\). So you access the drives themselves, not *through* the Pool.
3. Start DP service. Note that DP will show an empty Pool now although the free space is still very small.
4. Add the 12TB HDD
5. Stop DP service
6. Copy all data from both 6TB drives to the hidden poolpart.* folder on the 12TB drive
7. Start DP service (let it do its measuring I think)
8. Remove the 6TB drives. This should be a quick operation. It will not delete the data in the D:\OldPool\ folder.

But I do wonder whether you would want a Pool of just one 12 TB drive. It may well be that your setup is somewhat more complicated so the scenario above might have to be adjusted. Maybe there is an easier way but I can;t think of any.

Thanks that sounds like it would work. Duplication is off, the the pool has 4 drives, 3x6TB and 1x4TB, I want to replace 2 x 6TB drives with 1 x 12TB drive. The removed 6 TB drives will be moved to a different PC to use as a backup server which I'll turn on whenever I need to run a backup.

Out of interest why isn't copying one of the options when removing a drive or maybe even the only default option? It seems an easy option to add but I may be unaware of any complications that prevents this being an option.

This just completed successfully, thanks again.

One small thing, I didn't have a spare SATA port so connected the new drive via a USB dock to do the copy. After moving the new drive into the system drivepool is still detecting it as an external drive even though it's connected directly to the SATA port. Is that going to be an issue?

dp.jpg