Drivepool for external DAS using OWC Thunderbay 6 (72Tb)?

gknorm

Question

I'm a newbie here...  having parity issues using Windows Storage Spaces with my external DAS (OWC Thunderbay 6 with 72Tb) that I cannot resolve.  Intend to backup and consider using Drivepool as better solution to create 72Tb pool for my large Video/Photo library.  I have 2 concerns re: Drivepool vs. Storage Spaces before I decide:

• I used parity with Storage Spaces to emulate the protection offered by RAID 5, but understand there is no parity option for Drivepool.  Would file duplication provide a comparable degree of protection from bad drives in the future?
  • I do video/photo editing from an XPS15 laptop via Thunderbolt 3 connection to DAS and speeds with Storage Spaces were not always good - will Drivepool be comparable better, or worse in doing intensive I/O work from an external pool?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

1 answer to this question

So DrivePool with duplication provides some protection to drives going bad. If you have x2 duplication, then any 1 HDD may fail at a given time. DP will typically recover from this (especially if you have Scanner as well) assuming there is enough space available on the other HDDs. However, DrivePool does this by storing two full duplicates/instances of a file. So if you have 30TB of data, you would need 60TB of storage space.

No experience with DAS or Storage Spaces. However, I know that Christopher (I think still) advises against USB connected HDDs as part of a Pool and I wonder whether the same applies with TB3. Can not compare speeds but DP typically gives you the performance of a regular HDD (or SSD if you used those).