Issues with Macrium Image Guard - Beware

Ultradianguy

Question

I've been puzzled why unduplicated content on a drive with SMART warnings and damage was not being removed, despite setting various balancers to do so. 

I discovered today part of the reason - possibly all of it.  I believe all the remaining unduplicated content were backup images from Macrium Reflect.  Reflect has an anti-ransomware function that can prevent any changes to backup files.  This was preventing drivepool from removing them.  I realized this when I shut down drivepool service and tried to manually move those files to another drive.

I'd have expected drivepool to report that files were inaccessible - but apparently it did not know other software was actually blocking it - which brings me to the next issue.

Stablebit Scanner reported 20 unreadable sectors on this drive and 3 damaged files.  SMART had indicated 5 pending sectors.  I decided to re-run the scan after disabling the Macrium Image Guard - so far, it appears the unreadable sectors may have been caused by Image Guard and may not be bad.  

Remains to be seen whether the 5 pending sectors will end up being reallocated or become readable. 

The damaged files however were NOT image backups, so it's unclear if there was any connection.

Bottom line:  don't use Macrium Image Guard (or any other similar software) with pooled files.  I may just move my image files out of the pool to avoid the issue.

2 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Ultradianguy said:

Bottom line:  don't use Macrium Image Guard (or any other similar software) with pooled files.  I may just move my image files out of the pool to avoid the issue.

Interesting.  I also use Macrium and will look at this with a view of moving my image files out of the pool.