Automatic Updates and Rebooting

RG9400

Question

I saw that the latest dev Beta version of CloudDrive allows for automated updates via StableBit Cloud. This seems like a useful feature, but I wanted to know exactly what that meant before I turned it on. Basically, right now, after updating CloudDrive, I have to restart the computer due to something with the drivers. If I get an automated update downloaded, would that mean my computer would restart automatically, or would it need to be manually restarted, or can the various applications now update without a need for restarting the computer?

My main worry is that by enabling automatic updates, I end up with something like Windows updates where an update is pushed that causes (either instantly or on a delay) the computer to have to restart. 

5 answers to this question

It won't restart.  IIRC, it require manual confirmation/intervention to install and update, but it can be configured to automatically download the update.

* Added StableBit Cloud powered automatic updates.
    - Instant update notifications as soon as they're released.
    - Support for multiple release channels (Dev BETA, BETA, Release Final).
    - Automatic downloads.
    - Legacy automatic updates will be disabled when connected to the StableBit Cloud.

We don't want to have automatic installation, since 2 out of 3 of our products may/do require reboots to properly update them.  So, the idea/plan/design is to notify you about them (much as what is already done), and then let you choose if and when to install those updates.  But to also provide better and more control over the process, and to fix some of the functionality (eg, if you installed a public beta, you'd get other public beta notifications, and then the release notification. If you updated to the release, you would no longer get notifications about the beta). 

4 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

We don't want to have automatic installation, since 2 out of 3 of our products may/do require reboots to properly update them.  So, the idea/plan/design is to notify you about them (much as what is already done), and then let you choose if and when to install those updates.  But to also provide better and more control over the process, and to fix some of the functionality (eg, if you installed a public beta, you'd get other public beta notifications, and then the release notification. If you updated to the release, you would no longer get notifications about the beta). 

That makes sense, and it was also my experience after enabling this new feature. One extra development that could really help is to display a changelog against the release notification. It helps to know what new features/bugfixes are being pushed in each release, and it's a bit cumbersome to find the various changelogs for each application (seems beta and final releases for each app have separate txt files).