Easiest way to migrate from WHS 2011 to Win 8

chrismilne

Question

I'm thinking of moving from WHS 2011 to Windows 8.  I currently have a WHS installation using Drivepool with 10 disks connected via 2 Sans digital 5 bay towers in JBOD.  Is there a really easy way to just install the new OS,  connect the towers, install drive pool for windows 8 and have it recognize my shares as they were in WHS 2011?  

Can i then uninstall my license and use the license on windows 8?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Thanks.  So if i'm just testing (i have a new drive in installed with windows 8 on it) i can install stablebit in win 8, add the drives to the pool, create my shares, and if i don' tlike it i can just plug my HD with WHS 2011 back in and it will still work as usual?  i.e. drivepool will not change anything on the hard drives themselves between the 2 os's?

Basically, yes.

However, any changes to the pool that you make will be picked up. That means files or duplicate status. 

That, and if the drives were already part of a pool on WHS2011, then when you install StableBit DrivePool on Windows 8, it will recognize the existing pool and recreate it.