Ordered file placement question

sfg

Question

Hi,

I just purchased drivepool and have just started using it. So far, I have 2x 10TB drives in my array, and I'm copying data from my 16TB qnap (ext4) to my pool. I have about 40TB of additional hard drives to add, which are all full, essentially 100%. I have the "ordered file placement" plugin, as I'd rather the files be placed sequentially on each drive so that in case anything fails it's easier to replace the data on one given drive.

My question is this - how do I add my full drives so that drivepool doesn't move files around on that drive/in the pool, and just leave them where they are? Do I just move each new "full" drive to the top of the "ordered file placement" plugin?

I'm just getting used to the software and I'm not entirely sure how to configure everything properly. Thanks!

** oops wrong forum... can this be moved to the drivepool forum?

8 answers to this question

Well, if the data is already on the drives, you can just seed the data:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

And the balancing system generally won't move stuff around, except for in very specific situations.  However, you can disable the balancers, if you want, as well. 

As for the unusable for duplication, that's because the drives have different amount of free space.  If you notice, the "unusable" amount is equal to the difference in usage between the two drives, actually.    As you add more drives, this may go away, since there are more places to place data. 

Thank you for the reply! That all makes sense. So far, so good!

I also have an SSD I would like to use as a cache drive. I added it to my pool, and installed the SSD optimizer (at the top of the balancers). However, it doesn't seem to use the SSD when I copy files to the pool. Is that because 'ordered file placement' is taking priority? What I would like is new files to go to the SSD, then moved to the appropriate drive in the background/when balancing occurs. Is that not how this plugin is supposed to work? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.5acacefb555156bc4d2936fd58037545.png

Oooh, You don't want to use the Ordered File Placement balancer with the SSD Optimizer.  This creates a circumstance where it will forever move files around.   If you want to use both, then only enable the SSD Optimizer, and then use the "Ordered Placement" section in the SSD Optimizer. 

Also, if you're using duplication, you really want/need 2x "SSD" drives

19 hours ago, srcrist said:

The bottom third or so of your screenshot contains all of the ordered placement settings under the SSD optimizer. 

Thanks! what is "the predefined order on the archive disks" though? Is that just the order they are in in the 'drives' section? essentially, I want DP to sequentially fill my drives (as per the ordered file placement balancer), but to use a SSD as the temporary storage space for newly created files. IE: new file in pool (copy from network, etc) ---> SSD ---> Archive disks, and fill in a set order

To reach what you want I would suggest only using the stablebit scanner plug-in (place it in first position) and the SSD optimizer (position 2). Set your SSD as SSD in the SSD optimizer plugin and there you can also set your archive disks (all disks except the SSD) to fill in a particular order. That should accomplish what you wish