Migrating From Pre-Release Drive to New Drive

loganwolf

Question

I have a 100TB drive that is a "Pre-Release" drive and is currently separated into multiple 32TB partitions.  Are there any legitimate worries in continuing to use this drive, or should I begin the process of migrating to a current drive?  The provider is Google drive.

For the migration, I'm thinking that I use drivepool to pool my current drives, and that I create another set of drives with a new connection, then I add both of my pooled drives into a nested pool.  Would that slowly duplicate my data (about 30TB) from the old system into the new?

5 answers to this question

No, there shouldn't be.   It mostly means that the drive was created with a pre-release version of the software, and may not include all of the latest features. 

This shouldn't impact usability, but I would still recommend recreating the drive, since there are more options (especially related to data integrity). 

Thanks Christopher.  So follow up question, what is the best method to create a separate disk and begin moving the data to the new drive?

I initially thought that I would create a new clouddrive (H:) (pooled partitions of 25TB), and then create a "master" pool that consist of the old clouddrive (E:) and the new cloud drive.  I would then change the drive letter to represent the initial drive letter of the old drive (E).  I'm assuming I would then move my data folder in the pool folder on drive E:.  I tried this, but Plex had an issue with it.  I reverted to the config of a single clouddrive.  I'm down to 1TB of free space left, so I need to come up with a solution.

Thanks!

OK, so I've been moving my data over to the new disk, but I've run into an issue.

I setup a new disk of 25TB partitions and placed them in a pool.  I then setup another pool that consist of my old drive and the new drive.  The problem is that the old drive is now full, and I don't know how to setup drivepool correctly.  I have the "Super" pool setup to duplicate data, so that data would be copied to the new drive, but as I download more things, the old drive eventually filled up.

I've attached some images to help explain my setup and see if anyone can help me out of this.

image.thumb.png.429b39b787715c03e03a6ada055e6717.png

cap4.PNG

cap3.PNG

cap5.PNG

cap2.PNG