Stuck at "Measuring" and Possible Dying Drive

GoldenQuest

Question

I recently got a notification from Scanner that one of my drives has some unreadable sectors. I decided to initiate removal of the drive from the pool so I can perform some outside diagnostics and possibly RMA it. But DrivePool has been stuck on "Measuring" for almost 12 hours now and there is also a lot of Grey on the visuals. I also got a text in the middle of the night saying the affected drive was missing, and another 10 minutes later saying it was back. Im not sure what going on and if I'm in big trouble. See screenshot:

image.thumb.png.14c6a4c029bb8da7e415be566b5d590f.png

3 answers to this question

I'm experiencing the exact same thing, except it's been going on for nearly a week.  Did you resolve this? 

I've not been able to get drivepool to clear off a damaged drive by Remove or by using the File Usage balancer. 

Measuring is taking forever, and almost no balancing has occurred.   I've also experienced the drive disconnected message and then reconnected a few minutes later.  And each time this happens, DP clears all it's info and starts measuring from scratch. 

10 minutes ago, Ultradianguy said:

I'm experiencing the exact same thing, except it's been going on for nearly a week.  Did you resolve this? 

I've not been able to get drivepool to clear off a damaged drive by Remove or by using the File Usage balancer. 

Measuring is taking forever, and almost no balancing has occurred.   I've also experienced the drive disconnected message and then reconnected a few minutes later.  And each time this happens, DP clears all it's info and starts measuring from scratch. 

Yea, so I ended up just yanking the drive and dropping it into a usb3 external dock connected to another machine and pulling all the data off of it that way. In the meantime, after starting the server back up, DP complains that the drive is missing and from there I tell it to remove that disk which is does quickly and happily (since its not in the machine anymore). After recovering as much as I could via the external dock, I left it in the dock, and plugged it back into the server where I also have Scanner installed and scanned the disk (without adding it to the pool). Scanner determined there were a lot of unreadable sectors so I RMA'd it and am waiting on the replacement. Hope this helps.