Has your WHS been Hacked

dbailey75

Question

I posted this over at we got served, and well I haven't received any responses, so I figured I'd post here with a catchy title. I completed one of the 25 essential home server projects V2  during the snow days,  Monitoring your Remote Web Access, and well, I'm not sure how to interrupt the results.  I'm getting hits from all over the world, but I can't tell if they are just hitting the front page or hacking their way in.

Christopher, was this your write up?  Interesting by the way, but now i'm paranoid.  Is there a way to tell if I'm getting hacked?  

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/29408-monitor-rwa-traffic/?p=145521

post-206-0-54407400-1392407500_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

That's partially my write up, yes.

As for hacked, .... no, not really. It just shows access. A crawler bot will generate this, and *may* be doing so. 

As for checking to see if you've been hacked, check the "Security" log in the event viewer. That may indicate that better. But for the most part, no you haven't been hacked.

However, if you are concerned about this, install an Antivirus program on the server. I recommend ESET NOD32, as it officially supports WHS (without having to buy the "enterprise level" versions).

That's partially my write up, yes.

As for hacked, .... no, not really. It just shows access. A crawler bot will generate this, and *may* be doing so. 

As for checking to see if you've been hacked, check the "Security" log in the event viewer. That may indicate that better. But for the most part, no you haven't been hacked.

However, if you are concerned about this, install an Antivirus program on the server. I recommend ESET NOD32, as it officially supports WHS (without having to buy the "enterprise level" versions).

ok, thanks, I like being able to see what's going on, but not fully understanding the results can freak you out.

You may also want to check your router logs to see if there have been failed login attempts there.  If your router supports Access Lists or has a built-in firewall, you can add a deny statement for any suspect IP address you find in the router or WHS logs, and they will no longer be able to reach your devices.

My router supports RADIUS with accounting, so I use my WS2012E with the NAP role to authenticate users via RADIUS.  This way, I can also see failed login attempts to my router in the Event Viewer.