I made a big mistake while adding a drive.

britgeezer

Question

OK I have messed up big time.

I was adding a new 12TB Seagate drive and decided it was late so I would add it to the pool later.

Don't know how I did, it but I managed add it as I went to bed!. I now have a pool as part of a sub pool and some drives belong to one pool and others to the other. The only good thing is that because of my duplication settings I seems to have my important stuff in both pools.

You can see I have a "couple" of drives and an SSD which has decided to not show, but is used for balancing. The drive "Server backup" is not part of any pool.

Can you please explain how I can undo my error and merge the pools.

Thanks

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

15 answers to this question

I assume I:\ is the actual Pool you want. Note that in Pool J:, there appears to be no data (unusable and Other only). So I would:
1. In Pool J:, remove Pool I. This will not delete anything from Pool I itself, it will only move what is located on Pool I through Pool J to D:\
2. Move anything left, which should be nothing, from Pool J:\ to Pool I:\. Then Pool J:\ should be really really empty
3. Remove D:\ from Pool J:

Now, Pool J no longer exists and you can add drives to Pool I: as you want.

However, Pool I is missing a disk. I would resolve this first because it messes up measurements. Is it really gone/lost? Then  I would Remove Disk 1, it should be instant, and then first have DP remeasure and, if neccessary, re-balance/re-duplicate. Only when Pool I: appears to be without issues would I do the above.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes I:\ is the original pool.

Strangely the 2nd screen at least to me seems to show that I is a subset of J....

I cleaned up the missing drive.

J:\ does have data, it lets me access all the server files I'm interested in. They both do.

Do your instructions stand?

Thanks in anticipation

So J says 27.7TB because it had 9.5TB in HDDs and Pool I which is 18.2TB. That makes sense actually. It is just the way Hierarchical Pools (i.e. Pools becoming part of yet another Pool) work.

What worrries me though is thay you have duplicated data in J. That says, to me, that something is actually writing to (virtual) drive J:\. You can still remove drive I:\ from Pool J. I would do that right now. But then you do need to check whether there are applications that are writing to J:\ while they should, probably, be writing to I:\

There is no real need to fear deleting anything. As long as you do not tell something to delete something. Removing a (virtual or real) drive from a Pool will never delete anything. It may move stuff around a bit, that is all.

Edit: Forgot about your Q " I don't understand why I is a subset of J" - I would speculate that you, I guess by accident and unaware, added I:\ to Pool J:.

It was incredibly slow to remove the (10TB) drive and would hang at around 15-16 %, so I ran CHKDSK :/R and after a short while it reported fixed.

Then I was able to remove Drive D:/ quite quickly and kill Pool J:/

Some of the folders in D:/ were empty so I'm rerunning duplication as they are present on Pool :/ 

Thanks so much for your help. B)

Update: Not quite back to normal yet.

After allowing duplication and balance to sort sort out, I realized that there was still to much space being taken considering I had added a 12TB drive.

Then I noticed that only when I accessed the pool folder there was a separate pool listed as PoolPart.2_XX as seen below.

Final point is that the main pool has lots of empty sub folders (lost movies) and that most exist in PoolPart.2  Most of the "lost files" can be accessed there.

Should I just copy the duplicate files into to the main pool to recover them and then delete PoolPart.2 to recover space.

Thanks

pool_I.JPG

pool part 2 capture.JPG

Two things:

1. I think / speculate that the PoolpPart.2ad* folder is a remnant of the Pool J:\ you had. If there is data in there that should simply be in Pool I:\ then I would consider moving them.
2. Is it correct that not all folders in the Pool are duplicated? To be sure, "x1" means there is no duplication and only one instance of a file exists.

Well all is finally well.

It took a while to kill the PoolpPart.2ad* folder in fact I ended up removing the subject 6TB drive and reformatting it to remove the file that insisted I need Admin rights (which I have) to delete.

I don't seem to have lost any files, duplication is now back to normal and I have more than enough reserve space.

Back to my honey do list......