How to unmount Pool

Cubox

Question

Hi,

I cannot find a way to unmount the pool drive. Despite stopping the DrivePool service, the drive is still here.

Is there a way to unmount the drive, in order to perform some tests that require the pool to be removed from the computer ?

5 answers to this question

I'm not sure what, exactly, you're trying to do. What sort of tests require the entire pool to be removed? Depending on what you need, you could remove the mount point using Windows Disk Management, uninstall DrivePool temporarily, or simply target the underlying drives in the pool by providing them a mount point. 

The need came from trying to get a autorun.inf file to work. I read that you needed to unplug/plug the device again for it to take effect.

I then tried to unmount the DrivePool and found that even stopping the service would not help. To my surprise, even in Safe Mode, the DrivePool still gets mounted.

This behaviour is done because DrivePool is being mounted directly by the DrivePool driver. There is no way to unmount the drive unless you reboot the system, if the driver does not support unmounting the drive itself

While there is no "pressing" need to unmount my DrivePool, and given that even in Safe Mode it is still being mounted, maybe having the option to disable it without uninstalling the software would be nice, if worst were to happen.

My guess is that it would require for the CoveCube Virtual Drive (The 2TB Drive being shown in disk manager) device to get "unplugged".

Yeah, in that case, you'd probably have to uninstall DrivePool, reboot, and then the drive should mount immediately after reinstalling. I'm not sure if there is any other way to accomplish it. You might be able to take the pool offline using Disk Management to get the same effect, though. You can, in any case, submit a feature request, though.