I must be doing something wrong, can't turn on duplication

spdrcr5

Question

I just completed building my server and transferring all of my data to the new server.

Some background on the server:

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

OS is on a RAID 1

I then have 4 3tb drives in a JBOD showing as both an F drive and G drive.  F drive shows as Local Disk and G shows as DrivePool, they are exactly the same size, etc.

I installed DrivePool and had not turned on duplication until I had completed transferring over about 2.5TB of data.  Now I am looking to begin Folder Duplication of Photos as a start.  When I do this it fails with the below error:

Task Failed.  Not enough physical drives in the pool to enable duplication status.  Add another drive to the pool before trying to enable duplication.

I have tried this on several folders and they all fail.  I clearly have 4 drives, they are set as a JBOD running off a RocketRAID card.

I am new to DrivePool after having a WHS v1 for 4 yrs or so.  I would really like to get this setup and am not seeing what step I am missing.

I want to make certain this is working on a single folder before jumping into more data.

What am I missing?  Could I have installed this incorrectly?  Really appreciate any help.

Larry

9 answers to this question

My guess would be that DP sees the JBOD as ONE disk?

Edit: When you created the Pool, did you add four objects/disk, or one (being the JBOD)?

Small tip for when this is solved: first create a Pool with duplication, then transfer to the Pool. (So not, first to Pool, then duplicate). In my experience, DP does the job but it is way way slower than simple duplicating when it writes to the Pool.

What do you mean you created a JBOD?

Did you initialize the disks in the RocketRaid bios or just attach the disks and initialize in windows?  On my RocketRaid card I left the disk legacy and windows picked them up.

How large is the (F) drive?  How large is your drivepool showing (G)?  It should be around 10.88TB if you added 4x3TB drives.

I know nothing about JBOD / raid / rocketraid. But I would guess that for DP to work well, your system should recognise the individual HDs. Can you mount them and then create a Pool on those drives?

One question though, if you're going to use DP (and duplication), would you not rather have those drives not in a JBOD setup as well? I get the impression that two setups with halfway the same purpose are combined, that can't be good I think.

My advice would be to break down the JBOD (and I am assuming that F and G indeed show as 10.88TB drives as per Dougs' question), and go DP all the way.

Yes, the JBOD was created in the RocketRaid BIOS. The F and G are each showing at approx 10.8TB.  If I kill the JBOD and allow Windows to discover the 4 drives won't this pretty much wipe the drives clean?  If I need to start new it isn't the end of the world, just need to transfer all of the data again.

What would be the best way to do this then?  Clearly I messed something up.  lol

Thanks!

Larry