Marvell 88SE9172 (motherboard) and/or 88SE9235 (SYBA SI-PEX40062)

Ddfault

I have an Asus P8P67-M Pro motherboard which has an Intel P67 Express Chipset that is providing me with 4x SATA II (3.0Gbps), 2x SATA III (6.0 Gbps). The motherboard also has a Marvell 88SE9172 chip providing me with 1x SATA III (6.0 Gbps) and 1x eSATA III (6.0 Gbps) ports. I've installed a SYBA SI-PEX40062 which has 88SE9235 chip via one of the PCIe slots which is providing me with 4x SATA III (6.0 Gbps) ports.

When it comes to drivers, the Marvell driver that supports both 88SE9172 and 88SE9235 reduce the name of the devices to Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller and Marvell 92xx SATA 6G Controller respectively.

Initially I didn't have anything plugged into the Motherboard's 88SE9172 ports. I originally installed and ran your StableBit Scanner software with the Marvell 88SE9235 driver set to the windows default built in driver (Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller). Everything worked great and the scanning started on all drives. I could even go to each drive's Disk Details and see the drive's max connection rate and the ports maximum connection rate.  I then decided to update both Marvell drivers to the latest 1.2.0.1039 and connect even more drives. Both Marvell chips use the same driver. After a restart or two I went back to using your StableBit Scanner to continue scanning my drives, but now only one drive on either Marvell chip will scan while the others say Waiting to Scan. If I go the the Disk Details, only an overview is available for the drives connected to the Marvell chips.

I now presently have 4x Seagate NAS (ST4000VN000-1H4168) on the 88SE9235.

I now presently have 5x Seagate Barracuda LP (ST32000542AS) on the 88SE9172 eSATA connection via an external 5 bay port multiplier (SiI3826 maybe).

I now presently have 4x Seagate Barracuda (ST3000DM001-1CH166) on the P67 Intel chipset.

I've gone ahead and downloaded your DirectIoTest-1_0_5016_597 and run it.

Using one of the ST4000VN000 and having the Unsafe Direct I/O UNCHECKED using Marvell 92xx SATA 6G Controller driver

StableBit Scanner - WMI

• SMART Status: Yes
  • SMART Attributes: Yes
  • SMART Thresholds: Yes
  • SMART Error Log: No
  • Power Mode: No

StableBit Scanner - Direct I/O

• Methods: (Nothing. Methods is completely missing from the results)
  • Identify: No
  • SDD: Yes
  • SMART Status: No
  • SMART Attributes: No
  • SMART Thresholds: No

Using one of the ST4000VN000 and having the Unsafe Direct I/O CHECKED using Marvell 92xx SATA 6G Controller driver

StableBit Scanner - WMI

• Methods: ScsiPassthrough,ScsiPassthrough48,ScsiMiniportPortDriver
  • Identify: Yes
  • SMART Status: No
  • SMART Error Log: Yes

Using one of the ST4000VN000 and having the Unsafe Direct I/O UNCHECKED or CHECKED using Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller driver

StableBit Scanner - WMI

• Methods: AtaPassThrough
  • Identify: Yes
  • SMART Error Log: Yes
  • Power Mode: Yes

A quick note... If I forget to stop the StableBit Scanner from scanning and I select a disk from the Direct I/O test utility it will just get stuck Querying Disk... and I'll have to close the app and reopen it AFTER I stop scanning drives.

I've even stopped the ScannerService and modified the Scanner.Service.exe.config_default lines to:

<CoveNativeSafe.My.MySettings>
            <setting name="UnsafeDirectIo" serializeAs="String">
                <value>True</value>
            </setting>
        </CoveNativeSafe.My.MySettings>

without result.

One last note... When I installed both StableBit Scanner and StableBit DrivePool I specified a directory of C:\Drives\StableBit\ and both applications ignored that and installed into Program Files instead.

So, how do I get this great functionality with the Marvell Driver installed?

Happy to provide additional info and pics if requested.

Ah, I see one of my mistakes. When I updated Scanner.Service.exe.config_default I didn't change the extension to just ".config"

I placed a the Scanner.Service.exe.config from the download link you provided into the 

C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner\Service

folder and restarted the machine. When I look at Disk Details... on a "SCSI Disk Drive" I get a lot more data now!!!

At present I have the 92xx controller running in Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller as the driver, but I've left the onboard 91xx driver in place since I'm using a port multiplier. The 4x Seagate NAS drives connected to the 92xx are all able to scan, but only one of the 5x Seagate Barracuda LP drives is scanning at a time. This is actually probably ideal since all the 5x Seagate Barracuda LP drives are actually sharing only one eSATA cable.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, I've been using a sata card, UGT-ST644R,  with the Marvel 88SE9230 chip, and was using the windows drivers, and all was well, but I added some more drives and started having issues with the card dropping drives which is another story, but prior to installing the marvel drivers 1.2.0.1041, the system was working well, but after installing the drivers, scanner has starting giving me issues, and has completely stop working,  rebooting would not start the services.  Uninstalled the addin and tried to reinstall with no luck, simply says, Error Scanner can not be installed on the this server (WHS 2011 running the wssx install), I've removed all traces of scanner, and even removed the marvell drivers, still can not get scanner to reinstall,  so between the card wigging on when trying to use ports 1 and 2 (works find with port 3 and 4), and scanner, I have a little less hair and a missed a few hours of sleep, what's interesting, I was getting a computer monitoring error on PC, dashboard alert, but it referenced stable scanner/definition xml.config as the issue, which was even more strange since it was referring to a monitoring issue with a connected PC and not the server itself.

I've since entered a support request, will see how it goes.  Will also need to RMA the card.