Scanner - ReFS - Storage Spaces

Trayal

Question

Hello,

I have read many of the posts and responses about DrivePool and ReFS, I think I have a pretty good handle on the issues present while using Server 2019, DrivePool and Storage Spaces.  My primary reason for wanting to move to ReFS was due to its ability to prevent or correct bit rot.  Many users seem content to stick with NTFS in conjunction with DrivePool and Scanner, which is what I am currently using.  My question is does the Scanner provide any protection\correction for bit rot?  I know it does several scans, and I have those automatically running, but does it perform active correction to damaged files?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Nope. Scanner just checks whether the HDD can be read, not whether a bit has flopped.

Copy that.  That is a bummer, it just seems like NTFS is lacking the resiliency features that would make it great.  ReFS resiliency depending on Storage Spaces is also disappointing.  I know ZFS can handle most of my concerns, I just do not want to spend that much money up front and I like the ability to mix drive types and sizes at will.

Well, just a heads up:
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

That doesn't mean protection will be added, but it may mean better ReFS support in the future for StableBit Scanner. 

Also, for any self healing, we would need to incorporate it into StableBit DrivePool, not StableBit Scanner. 

Additionally, you do need to keep in mind that by default, ReFS only enables integrity checks on file system data, ***not*** the files themselves.  So it wouldn't correct corrupted files, unless you had manually configured it to do so.  And this applies to ReFS on Storage Spaces arrays.