Sans Digital Tower goes offline copying large files/directories on WHS

chrismilne

Question

I'm not sure if this is a hardware, software, or disk issue as of yet...

One of my two Sans Digital TRM5B towers always goes offline when copying
multiple large files to either a USB drive or across the network. It
will often also go offline while streaming a movie. There will only be
one light on after it\"goes offline" and i must restart the server to
get it to "reattach" to Windows Home Server.  I have tried swapping the connections to the

esata card, new cables, i'm about to swap all the drives between the two (does stablebit have an issue

finding the drives in the correct place after that?  i'm using them in JBOD)

I did notice some errors in the event log from Stable bit (i will update this when i get home with the exact errors).  

Does this sound like a Stablebit issue, a Sans Digital issue or bad drive(s)?

3 answers to this question

I'm not sure if this is a hardware, software, or disk issue as of yet...

One of my two Sans Digital TRM5B towers always goes offline when copying

multiple large files to either a USB drive or across the network. It

will often also go offline while streaming a movie. There will only be

one light on after it\"goes offline" and i must restart the server to

get it to "reattach" to Windows Home Server.  I have tried swapping the connections to the

esata card, new cables, i'm about to swap all the drives between the two (does stablebit have an issue

finding the drives in the correct place after that?  i'm using them in JBOD)

I did notice some errors in the event log from Stable bit (i will update this when i get home with the exact errors).  

Does this sound like a Stablebit issue, a Sans Digital issue or bad drive(s)?

I remember seeing a post from Jazon on this some time ago, I was thinking he posted it here, maybe on the old forum, on at we got served, http://www.amazon.com/review/R3HTX1W2IBV5B2, not the post I was looking for, but the solution he found is listed none the less.

Here's the post, http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/657/drives-dropping-important-fix-for-san-digital-multi-bay-esata-enclosure-users/p1

Unfortunately i just checked my server, and it's already off (maybe i tried that a while ago and forgot :|)

My error says this (but how do you open these encrypted logs??):

Log Name:      Application

Source:        StableBit Scanner
Date:          2/12/2014 7:38:36 PM
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      CHRISWHS
Description:
Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2014_02_12-07_38_36.0.saencryptedreport

Exception:

CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
   at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
   at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event'><System><Provider Name='StableBit Scanner'/><EventID Qualifiers='0'>0</EventID><Level>2</Level><Task>0</Task><Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime='2014-02-13T00:38:36.000000000Z'/><EventRecordID>109569</EventRecordID><Channel>Application</Channel><Computer>CHRISWHS</Computer><Security/></System><EventData><Data>Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2014_02_12-07_38_36.0.saencryptedreport

Exception:

CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
   at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
   at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )
</Data></EventData></Event>

..and just when i thought things couldn't get worse, for the first time ever the other tower went offline while copying a large file tonight.

Note, even if the tower didn't go offline the copy is now failing on an 18gb file.  I'm updaing stablebit 1.3.5.7572 in hopes that helps.

EDIT:  It did not help.  I tried rebooting in Win 7 (dual boot) instead of Win 8 for fun...that didn't help.  Interestingly it seems i'm actually getting a network error now (at least when the drives don't go offline).   I have one drive that is not part of the Stablebit Pool, and i was able to copy to that one but it did so at a really slow rate.  3.85 avg MB/s (wired network, server is only 10/100 nic, client is a gigabit).  It took almost 40 min's to copy an 8gb file, which is about 3 times slower than i'm used to.   I'm really at a loss right now for what's going on.

EDIT 2: Whenever i copy any file to the server it goes from 10mb/s drops to 0mbs after about 5 seconds, then pauses, then goes back up, then drops, over and over.  When i copy to a stablebit share it just cancels the copy with a network error.  Any ideas what could cause this?