Move pooled drives to a newly created pool

TerryMundy

Question

I have a 12 bay SAN that screams while it's running.  I need to create a new pool and move the drives from the SAN into the newly created pool.  That pool will be my backup pool that I'll power on during the weekends to synchronize.  At 4TB each I don't have a year to move data off then back on.

How can I immediately remove a drive from a pool?  As in 3,2,1, done.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Are you moving all the drives in the pool over?   If so, just power down the systems, unplug all the drives in the pool, turn it back on.  That's it. 

Then you can connect the drives to the new system, and they will be picked up by StableBit DrivePool as pooled disks and will attempt to recreate the disk with the available disks. 

Hi Drashna,

Thanks for the reply.  I apologize for wording the subject incorrectly.  It should have been "How to split a current drive pool".

With over 40 hard drives connected there are half that are connected externally.  They are currently part of the 40 hard drive pool.  My goal is to split the external hard drives so they become their own separate drive pool.  The two pools will be mirrored.  During storms I can power off and disconnect all external hard drives for safe keeping.

Everytime I try to remove one of the hard drives from the pool Drive Pool insists on the standard removal process.  I doesn't make sense in my case to remove the data then turn around and copy the data back to the drive again.  Does it?

Perhaps I'm pushing Drive Pool to do something it's currently not capable of doing.  If that's the case I'll revert to using the supported method.

Thanks,

Terry