Thoughts on Linux

CptCrunch

Question

Has there every been any thoughts for a linux port? I am actually considering ditching Windows for Linux Mint but I dont want to miss out on the super easy setup like drivepool? I know there are countless ways to do the same with linux but I still want to continue using Drive Pool.

On another note, migrating data from drive pool to linux any thoughts, ideas or concerns besides the whole (MAKE A BACKUP) before doing anything?

7 answers to this question

The idea has been brought up before.

I beleive Alex's answer was basically "No". It's a completely different OS, and would require rewriting everything from the ground up. As well as learning everything necessary for it.

DrivePool relies a lot on built in Windows functionality/API. Which may not be there, or work the same on Linux. 

Though, as for moving the linux, most (if not all) linux distro's should be able to read NTFS just fine. That, and you can use gparted to convert to "ext3", aka the linux file system. Though with any disk editing/conversion, you should ALWAYS make a backup, just in case.

If you are interested in drive pooling on Linux, then check out Greyhole.  This is used for storage pooling in Amahi too.  It is a set of local PHP scripts.  I tried it out one time, around 3 years ago, and ended up losing some data with it.  It is nowhere near what DrivePool is in Windows, so try it at your own risk.  I much prefer using DrivePool.  

I keep on forgetting about that solution.

It's meant to function much the same way that Drive Extender, StableBit Drivepool and Drive Bender work. 

Though I do get a kick out of the HP MSS image that they us on their page. :)

But I can't speak for it's stability or usability or anything. I'm a Windows guy.