Best way to copy to a new drive with Drive Dublication with google drive limits in mind enabled

Farmand

Question

HI.

I have 4 G drives all at 10 TB full. That i would like to copy to new Drives with Duplication enabled. Is the anyone out here that knows of a program that would help do this automatically as Google limits the amount of data you can upload each day.

Limit daily uploads to 350 GB as that doubles too 700 GB

and resumes the next day so i can start one drive and the wait 1 month and take the next one.

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Farmand said:

Sorry.

my content is already on clouddrive but would need to be copied to a new clouddrive with duplikation enabled to make the data more redundant and Secure 

Gotcha. Well, DrivePool can do this relatively easily. So that's one option. But any sort of drive or folder sync tool should be able to do the trick. If you throttle CloudDrive to around 70mbps, you'll never hit Google's usage cap. It's generally a good idea to just do that no matter what. 

7 minutes ago, srcrist said:

Gotcha. Well, DrivePool can do this relatively easily. So that's one option. But any sort of drive or folder sync tool should be able to do the trick. If you throttle CloudDrive to around 70mbps, you'll never hit Google's usage cap. It's generally a good idea to just do that no matter what. 

How can i use drivepool for that?

sorry if i Sound dumb but can Seem to figure out how

Sort of depends on what, exactly, you want to accomplish. You could simply add new drives to DrivePool and enable duplication if you don't care where the duplicates are placed, and it'll handle the duplication in the background. If you wanted to create a copy of your existing pool you'd have to nest the pools. You can find instructions for that here (sort by date to make it easier to read): 

On 8/31/2019 at 2:49 AM, srcrist said:

Sort of depends on what, exactly, you want to accomplish. You could simply add new drives to DrivePool and enable duplication if you don't care where the duplicates are placed, and it'll handle the duplication in the background. If you wanted to create a copy of your existing pool you'd have to nest the pools. You can find instructions for that here (sort by date to make it easier to read): 

Thanks.

From what i can read i need to

1 create a drive pool

2 attach cloud drive (1) (10TB) containing original files to the drive pool

3 attach a new cloud drive (2) empty (10TB auto sized to 20TB) with Duplication enabled

4 enable duplication within this drive pool

5 wait until data is written to new cloud drive

6 remove drives from drive pool

7 delete cloud drive (1)

8 give cloud drive (2) drive letter previously attached to drive (1)

Do this again four time for each original cloud drive

end result should now be 4 new cloud drives where data is written 2 times as per the new cloud drive features 

and all future files written to cloud drive will automatically be duplicated.

you write in your other guide that all data needs to be written to a pool part file why??? if i add 2 entire drives one with files and 1 empty?

From what I'm reading here, no. That isn't right.

So, again, the process moving forward will depend on what, exactly, you are trying to accomplish, which is something that's still a bit unclear.

If you simply want some data redundancy, that can be accomplished as easily as creating a pool with DrivePool, adding enough space to duplicate all of your data, and then enabling 2x duplication. That will place duplicate copies of your data across all drives, but it will do so algorithmically. That means that the two copies of file 1 may be on drives A and B, the two copies of file 2 may be on drive B and C, and two copies of file 3 may be on A and C. The files will all be duplicated, but it will be somewhat random where the duplication is placed.

If your needs require more control over where the data is placed, and you need, for example, a pool of drives A, B, and C that is identically mirrored by a pool containing drives D, E, and F (because, for example, drives A, B, and C are on one cloud account, while drives D, E, and F are on another, and you want a copy of the data on each cloud account), then you'll need to create a nested pool setup wherein pool ABC and pool DEF are inside of another pool, Z. Then you enable duplication on pool Z, which will duplicate pool ABC with pool DEF. Note: this process is complicated, and may not be necessary for you.

If all you want is some data redundancy, you can just create a pool and enable duplication. You, will, yes, have to move all of the existing data to the Poolpart folder that will be created when the drives are added to a pool, or else the data will not appear within the pool. That's simply how DrivePool works. All of the pool data is stored within a hidden Poolpart directory on the drive.

There is no circumstance where you would need to remove a drive from the pool, and certainly no need to delete any of the drives, as a part of this process. You just need to create the pool structure that meets you needs, move the data to where it needs to be in order to be seen within the pool, and enable duplication.

If you are still unclear about how DrivePool operates, and what it actually does, I would strongly encourage you to read the user manual here: https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual