Verify Duplication Bit by Bit?

dr_no

Question

Can Drivepool (or Scanner) verify each bit of the duplication?  Kind of like what Scanner does on the hard drive surface, but instead verify that the duplication actually still matches the original bit for bit.  This could help determine and possibly correct for bit rot.

Maybe this is already a feature?

Would this even be as useful as it sounds?

8 answers to this question

When DrivePool runs a duplication pass, it does check to see if the files match. And gives you a warning if "file parts are different"

There is also a setting that verifies this every time a file is copied or moved.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Advanced_Settings

Set "DrivePool_VerifyAfterCopy" to "True".

If I run "Check Duplication Consistency", it completes in only a few minutes on my 3.5TB + 3.5TB duplicated pool.  It can not possibly be verifying bits (or even checksums) of the files that quickly.  I would think it could only verify that a duplicated file does exists in that amount of time.  How do I run the true duplication pass or can I schedule one to run periodically?

I am more interested in data integrity than speed.  A "DrivePool_VerifyOnRead" setting would be a neat feature.

Thanks.

The duplication consistency isn't checking the files, it's checking the status, and making sure it's properly duplicated.

However, it does go much more in depth when it does a full duplication pass (usually at night). And there isn't a way to do this manually.

However I will flag this for Alex

Any news on that? I would like to have a bitwise integrity check e.g. once a month. Any there any means to do it now?

Also I would like to do it manually, e.g. after chkdsk problems.

We plan on implementing something like this, with a new product (StableBit FileSafe), and potentially more features. 

As for means to do this now, you could export a "dir" command. That, or something like "File Verify ++" which will check the files. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fileverifier/)