moving drives around

TeleFragger

Question

I went throught all of the threads I could but just didn't see it. Maybe I missed it...

So my current setup is an

Antec 900 case
Icy Dock - 6x 2.5 hot swap
2x 8i hba cards (using onboard sata as well)
11x 500gb ssd - 7 in icy dock and 4 just floating around the case
3x 4tb 3.5"
3x 2tb 3.5"
2x 500gb 2.5"
1x 250gb 2.5"

ssd pool and sata pool

This case is jammed up... totally full... as I get drives, I add them... so it is totally unorganized. I just helped a mess of friends upgrade their kids (college, etc) laptops and desktops. amazing how 500gb ssd just don't hold much anymore!!!! had to go to 1tb for them and I got to keep their old 500s lol... and even those crappy sata 250 and 500....

anyway.. my question.. I'm getting a new case (bought it and waiting for it to ship from west coast to east coast)..

once it comes in, can I just shut down my machine, tear it all apart and just move everything in?

totally not paying attention to what drive is plugged into what card in what order?

so basically.. if I wanted... remove my drives, shuffle them around and put them all back in and it still work?

I have a freenas test machine... gonna ditch it... and move that hba and 11 ssds over too..

my goal is an ultimate 34 drive stablebit drive pool machine (it already is pretty ultimate but gonna be mega ultimate)...

case I just bought... is 
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition Case
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-750D-Airflow-Edition-Full-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011078-WW

what I'm liking about it is all the drive bays and expansions.. that can be done... 

so if I do this right I'm thinking...
3x icy dock - 6x2.5" bays in external 5.25 (18 drives)
4x 2.5 drives in cable management area (saw this how they utilized that space to sneak 4 more drives!!!!)
2x 3 drive bay adapters - can buy 2 more if I can find them or DIY bay adapters ( found a home depot diy for $3...!!!!! will see )

would put me at the ability to stuff...
18 + 4 + 12 = 34 drives... WOOOT!!!! since 25 of that are SSD.. LOW POWER AND HEAT!!!!!!

10 answers to this question

Yeah, as long as the drives show up correctly, then it will maintain the pool. 

As for the power savings, that entirely depends on the power consumption, both at peak and idle.  
And to be honest, you probably won't see a lot of power savings.  The best way to get that savings is to use large capacity SSDs, which is what data centers do.  However, they can be a LOT more expensive. 

6 hours ago, Umfriend said:

TL;DR but yes, DP will recognise the Pool. You could disconnect them all and plug them in on another machine and DP would see the Pool again.

One small caveat is that if you use plug-ins that are not installed on the new machine then you may have some unwanted behaviour. Other than that, it should work.

gonna move all drives.. mobo and os drive. os drive will be plugged back in correctly. 

cool so i should be good

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yeah, as long as the drives show up correctly, then it will maintain the pool. 

As for the power savings, that entirely depends on the power consumption, both at peak and idle.  
And to be honest, you probably won't see a lot of power savings.  The best way to get that savings is to use large capacity SSDs, which is what data centers do.  However, they can be a LOT more expensive. 

yeah ill use large ssd when my 1tb friends wanna go bigger :D

so another curious thing... 

we just had a power failure and after i powered back on. one drive was unknown. made entire pool go grey. could access but not add...thats how i knew there was a problem.

so how do you know what drive is what? if im gonna organize this..how do i know what s/n drive is what? well actually device as it did say that i think. wouldnt give s/n. it said drive missing.

powered down and reseated hotswap drives..back up

moved it all in the new case. worked great. Didn't realize that I didn't have enough pci-e slots for all of my hba cards in this one machine... so had to remove my 10gb nic and still now need power adapters to get 4 more drives in. So I will be on the hunt for 2x 16i hba cards at a later time..

but thought id as this as I didn't realize this...

can I assume StableBit does not require drive letters for drive pool to work?

windows ran out of letters so I did none and its working... so all good?