Out of space on pool

dan66215

Question

I have a pool with 3 drives configured with duplication 3x.  I'm unable to put more data onto the pool.  One of the drives is full. Are these 2 things related? My expectation would be that the pool would continue to allow data to be added as long as there was space on one of the drives, but with a notification saying that the data was not duplicated 3x (because one of the pool drives is full).  Is my expectation wrong in that if one of the 3 pool drives is full, at 3x duplication, then the pool will report to the OS as being full?

Is there a way to configure drivepool to behave as I expected?

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

On further analysis, I can't figure out why this pool is reporting as full to the OS.  To get out of the woods, I simply added a 4th drive to the pool with plenty of space. I'm still not able to copy data to the pool drive.  

To review:
Pool is now made up of 4 drives configured to duplicate 3x. One of the pool drives is full.
Since adding the 4th, nothing has rebalanced to it (I would have expected files to be moved from the full drive to the new drive).
Windows explorer reports the pool drive as having 3.63 TB free.
OS will not allow writes (larger than about 300Mb) to the pool drive saying that there's not enough space.

Any thoughts of what's going on with this pool?

Thanks.

image.png.33af9ba6a1f58620da8add9990fbe22e.png

No. What does the status bar just below what you pasted look like? Is the faulty HDD stil in the Pool (the D drive perhaps)? If your Pool is K, J, D and I and D is the faulty HDD then I do see what the issue is. You have 6TB of data spread over 3 disks (the faulty HDD does not count because it is, well, faulty!), that is 2TB per disk. As your smallest HDD is 2TB, you have 3 HDDs and x3 duplication, there is no way you can have more than 6TB of data in such a pool. You need another HDD or replace the 2TB with a larger one.

Mind you, if you have x3 duplication on 3 HDDs, then the max you can store is 3 x [smallest HDD size]. If you have more HDD than the duplication factor then this is typically not a problem (it can be, say 1x14TB + 3x3TB still won't let you write more than 12TB or 4TB net of duplication but you get the idea).

OK, I am mixing up threads, sorry bout that. I guess D is the new HDD. Everything I said above is true expect that D may not be faulty. The question is, why does it have arrows at the right (showing that DP does not want to write to it)? Other than the x3, are all balancers at default with default settings? If not, what is specific with you?

@dan66215 it uses the disks in the pool to determine free space.  Because you have one of the disks that is completely filled, that is likely the issue.  Especially if you're using ordered file placement. 

That said, it may be worth installing the "Drive Space Equalizer" balancer plugin and enabling that. 
StableBit DrivePool Balancer Plugins