Activity logging?

JasonC

Question

I realize this is probably a asking a bit much, but is there any kind of rolling activity log option for DrivePool?

I ask because sometimes I question my sanity, like files go missing. But they aren't things I've touched often, so I have no idea when they went away, or if I did it or what. Case in point:

I told Plex to rescan a folder that contains unusual variants of movies. I generally don't ever touch anything in here once it's in there. The re-scan suddenly tells me a file is gone. I go look...yep it's gone (but the folder is still there). But it's not something I would have deleted. I don't know where it went, or how long it's been gone. I'll scan my FS and hope it's an accidental drag and drop, but I'm not hopeful. Since I have Plex scan my folders regularly, it had to be a recent removal. So...it'd be nice if I could just have a high level log tracking operations like that (log delete operations).

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

So, I still like the log thing if I can get it, but I did find the issue. I realized that I was having a pretty wide spread issue with a lot of files missing, I just didn't realize it until I went into a high level library. This made me check for a disk issue.

Turns out it was a combination of a VM problem, for some reason one disk didn't get mounted to the VM at startup,  and I didn't realize it because somewhere along the lines the notification settings I had in the Stablebit Scanner were lost, so I wasn't getting notifications about a disk issue.

Once I re-mounted the disk into the VM, my stuff all came back.

Ouch! sorry to hear about the issues. 

And yeah, that did sound like a disk issue, and not a pool issue, specifically. 

Just a heads up, StableBit DrivePool does have a notification option for when there are missing disks.  Make sure that's set up. 

Additionally, for StableBit Scanner, grab the latest beta, as that will fix the issue with the lost settings:
http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.4.3259_BETA.exe

On 8/16/2019 at 6:07 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Additionally, for StableBit Scanner, grab the latest beta, as that will fix the issue with the lost settings:

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.4.3259_BETA.exe

Oh, it hadn't occurred to me this was a bug. I thought it must have been something I did. I'll have to get that installed.

Thanks!

On 8/16/2019 at 6:07 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Just a heads up, StableBit DrivePool does have a notification option for when there are missing disks.  Make sure that's set up. 

So I just went to enable that. It was already enabled, with a valid email address, that passed the test message. I searched my mail and didn't get a notification. Best guess: does it only notify if a disk disappears _during_ operations? So, if it starts up with a disk missing from the pool, would it notify? That was the scenario I was in, and I think that might be why it didn't notify me?

Nope, not that. It just didn't send one as far as I can tell, when the problem first occurred. I did find one when I searched my email, but it sent it right after I had rebooted again, but before I realized on my own the disk was gone, because 2 minutes after I rebooted, and it sent that first email, it sent the re-connect message(because I had re-attached in Hyper-V). The problem had been persisting for at least several days, so there was plenty of time to send a message but I don't appear to have gotten one. *shrug*