How to Force Duplication?

Otagolad

Question

I've removed a drive that I suspected was about to fail and now my pool shows [x] amount Duplicated and 3.7TB amount Unduplicated.  I have more than 15TB  free space in the pool however the 3.7TB will not duplicate.  All folders in the pool are set to 1x duplication so how do I force the duplication of that unduplicated amount?  Do I need to reset the balancing rules or is there something else I'm not doing right?  

Any help most appreciated.

15 answers to this question

Could you bring up a screenprint again with the Folder Duplication showing? What I fear is that you simply have no duplication. If you had then I would expect an "x2" to the left of the circle diagram. My advice is to set: Manage Pool -> File Protection -> Pool file duplication -> and then something I can;t see as I already have this but probably something like Enable Duplication and input that you want 2 copies of each file (remember those are not additional copies).

So if you look at the GUI, to the left of the graph depicting the Pool, do you see in green "x2" or something different, like "x2+"?

If it is "x2", then on on the right of the bar depicting the Pool Organization, isn't there a thingy where you can select to remeasure and/or rebalance? That would, I think, get duplication in order again.

(BTW, not to nitpick, but 1x duplication is no duplication. It is confusing but most use x2 for a set of two duplicates..)

7 hours ago, Umfriend said:

So if you look at the GUI, to the left of the graph depicting the Pool, do you see in green "x2" or something different, like "x2+"?

If it is "x2", then on on the right of the bar depicting the Pool Organization, isn't there a thingy where you can select to remeasure and/or rebalance? That would, I think, get duplication in order again.

(BTW, not to nitpick, but 1x duplication is no duplication. It is confusing but most use x2 for a set of two duplicates..)

Thanks for replying, however I'm not sure that's right is it?  I have a total pool of storage available at 97TB, free space of 15TB and total size of folders being stored on the pool is 41TB - this means the 41TB is being duplicated (ie 41 x 2 = 82TB).  I also note that the Stablebit User Manual says:

"StableBit DrivePool denotes the current file duplication level by showing you how many copies are currently being maintained on each pool. For example, x2 means that two copies of each file are being maintained, x3 means that 3 copies are maintained, etc..."

What that statement says to me is that x1 makes one copy on another drive (duplication) and x2 makes "two copies" in addition to the original file.

Maybe Drashna can confirm.

Cheers

On 8/4/2019 at 2:15 AM, Umfriend said:

I don't understand this at all, I wonder what this will look like after checking. You really need Drashna for this I think. As I read the picture, you have *no* duplication on anything other than in METADATA and apparently that takes up 78TB. That can't be right.

Not sure what has been going on but main reason this has come up is because of S.M.A.R.T. warnings on a number of disks in the pool and i am seeking to replace those with new drives.  Anyway, it now looks like the pool is mostly unduplicated (and I've set duplication at folder level to x2).  Only issue is that it seems to be taking forever - it has made it to 7.5% without crashing (touch wood), and the duplication is slowly increasing (been stuck at 7.5% for at least 8 hours but the amount of duplicated TB has increased - when screenshot was sone it was 1.21 TB and now is 1.22TB) - any way to speed it up or is it likely to be because of the metadata from my Plex Server?  Screen shot below:

SBDP - GUI - Screenshot 2.png

OK, that picture makes sense. I don;t knot about this but there is something with Plex that DP does not support ("hardlinks"?), but I don't know if that could cause this. If it has had very little progress for 8 hours then, personally, I would simply reboot orderly and see how that goes. Any reason to choose folder duplication over pool file duplication? What kind of box are the disks in and how are they connected?

12 hours ago, Umfriend said:

OK, that picture makes sense. I don;t knot about this but there is something with Plex that DP does not support ("hardlinks"?), but I don't know if that could cause this. If it has had very little progress for 8 hours then, personally, I would simply reboot orderly and see how that goes. Any reason to choose folder duplication over pool file duplication? What kind of box are the disks in and how are they connected?

I guess I'd always used folder duplication from way back in WHS.  I'm a bit worried that the duplication isn't working properly - you'll see from the screenshot below that although it says on the progress bar that "Duplicating" is at 44.2%, the total Duplicated files are only 3.75TB with Unduplicated being 41.0TB - does this make sense?  Also, if, once duplication is finished, I change from Folder Duplication to Pool Duplication, is that possible and will it then make a duplicate of an already duplicated file (from it having been duplicated under the folder duplication process)?  

Any advice greatly received as my biggest concern is not to lose anything during this process.

SBDP - GUI - Screenshot 3.PNG

15 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Any news? What does it look like now?

Going very very slowly - does look like it will end (sometime next century :rolleyes:) with it showing approx 46TB duplicated and free space of just 4 or 5TB - but it is agonisingly slow

Screenshot 1 - 2019.08.09.PNG