Question about Nas Drives....

lswaenen

Question

6 answers to this question

I noticed that I could duplicate files even 3 or more times..

- What's the use for that ?

- I assume that I 'lose' exact the storage amount of those files ?

(ie. see duplication settings above.. I choose a 250gb sized directory to duplicate 3 times.)

In this case I would have 7.750 tb available ? (an extra 250 gb allocated to the directory)  

- can I add a nas drive to the pool ?

- can I 'share' the pool to other users ?

NAS drive? Do you mean like the WD Red drives, or the Seagate NAS drives? If so, absolutely. Any disk can be used.

And as for shares, the pool should function like any other drive. There are some exceptions, but for the most part, it should. So you absolutely can share folders on the Pool without issue. 

I pool 4 x 4tb

I have 16 tb ? Correct

Duplication on. 2 x 8 tb of which I can use 8tb..?

If you are duplicating EVERYTHING (which is a good idea), then yes, you'd only has approximately 8TBs of usable space Closer to 7.2TBs, as you will have approx 14.5TBs of available space as reported by Windows.

I noticed that I could duplicate files even 3 or more times..

- What's the use for that ?

- I assume that I 'lose' exact the storage amount of those files ?

(ie. see duplication settings above.. I choose a 250gb sized directory to duplicate 3 times.)

In this case I would have 7.750 tb available ? (an extra 250 gb allocated to the directory)  

The "higher than 2x" duplication is for creating more copies. The advantage is that folders duplicated x3 or x4 or higher can tolerate more than one disk failing or going missing. The disadvantage is that it uses up that much more space. And yes, it would use up 250GB more (for a total of 750GBs used out of the pool).