Bad Sector

lee1978

Question

Ok one of my drives picked up a bad sector yesterday. when I logged on to scanner it directed me to check file system to which it found 1 file with 6% damage. ok all's well I have backups and all my server files are duplicated but then it directed me to recover the file to which it has been trying to do very slowly for the last 48hrs what I don't get is why if all my files are duplicated why does not just delete the damaged file and re duplicate the good copy this just seems a long way round to fix the problem.

Any thoughts

Lee

3 answers to this question

Because we don't wish to write to the disk. In fact, with Scanner, we avoid writing to the disk at all (except for file recovery).

And if we were to "fix" this section, it would mean that the file affected would not be recoverable by data recovery tools.

Also, while DrivePool may be aware of information from Scanner, Scanner isn't aware of DrivePool.

Ok but then wouldn't it be quicker for both copies of the file to be moved into separate folders on say the desktop and let the user decide which to keep what I am getting at is scanner has been chugging away for 3 days trying to recover 1 damaged file to which there is a perfect working copy in duplication is that not the whole point of duplication incase of situations like this.

What I am trying to get at it is the file is duplicated so why spend 3 days trying to recover it when there is a good copy or am I missing something

Lee

That's a good suggestion.

What the Scanner should probably do IMO in these cases is simply rename the bad file part to something else and let DrivePool's duplication system kick in and reduplicated the file. I'm always worried about deleting files. This way we retain all 3 file parts and the user can delete the bad one.

I've flagged this as issue #86 and it will be fixed.