Memory Leak?

RJGNOW

Question

I have discovered something and I didn't know which area to post it in.

I have notice when using the dashboard for long periods of time (few hours) that it becomes sluggish.  I didn't think too much of it until this morning, when I realized that I had forgotten to shut down the dashboard and saw that It was consuming almost 1.5 Gigs of RAM.

So I started looking at what might be the cause.

I have these ad-ins installed:

Advanced Admin Console

Add-in Central

Lights Out

StableBit Scanner and DrivePool

When I open the dashboard the Home  tab is active, so moving to the resource monitor found in AAC I see that the dashboard is holding steady @ 149 Megs of RAM Consumption. When I move to the Light-Out Tab, I hold steady @ ~180 Megs of RAM.  If I move to either DrivePool or Scanner, the dashboard memory consumption increases slowly but never stops increasing.

The memory is released when closing the dashboard.

Is this normal behavior?

Stable Version (2.0.2.420) of Drive Pool, and Beta Version (2.5.0.2982) Scanner

2 answers to this question

I noticed that also but with scanner only. Clicking on the scanner tab makes the dashboard flicker and a "not responding" message at the top bar of the dashboard for few seconds. I wonder if it has something to do with the dashboard being sluggish to open up.

To be honest, this is more of an issue with the dashboard itself. I've seen this on clean VMs... And to take a while to switch tabs. This is the main reason I recommend SSDs and to max out your RAM. It does help with this issue... but I've seen it take minutes to load on my system. That's with a SSD, an 8 core AMD CPU and 32GBs of RAM. There should be no sluggishness, but still...

It's part of the reason that Alex moved to our own in house remote control over DrivePool and Scanner.

However, when this happens, if you can get a memory dump of the Dashboard process, we can take a look at it and see if it is an issue with our code.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Dashboard_Freeze