When moving files use HDD and balance into cloud based on file placement rules

JulesTop

Question

Hi,

I feel like this is possible, but I can't get the right combination of settings to work while using file placement rules.

I have a cloud pool and a HDD pool that are pooled together into a hybrid pool. I want file placement rules to be acted upon during balancing (sort certain folders into the cloud and others locally if space permits) but when moving files into any of the folders, I want it to behave using the 'Ordered File Placement' plugin. Essentially, use the HDD throughout the day, and balance later on to the cloud. It all works but without file placement rules. As soon as I place file placement rules, the files get moved to the cloud directly. This slows down my copies as soon as my local cloud drive cache fills up.

Anyone have suggestions or ideas?

I can share screenshots of my settings as well if that helps.

5 answers to this question

I do not use OFP or FPR but I wonder whether you could set Automatic Balancing to every day at, say, 23:00, and uncheck the "File placement rules respect...plug-ins.".

Otherwise, if you do not duplicate between cloud and local, you could perhaps consider using the two seperate Pools and run a batch every night to move from local to cloud?

I don't think DP was made with a view to exhibit behaviour based on the time of day...

Yeah, Kinda...

I essentially want ordered file placement regardless of file placement rules. However, during balancing, the files are then moved based on file placement rules.

So, If I have 2 folders in my hybrid pool, and I want folder 1 to be in the cloud and folder 2 to be on the HDD (space permitting). I would like that no matter where I want my files placed, they all get moved to the HDD first and the files are then organizes to their preferred locations when balancing.

When I use the 'Ordered File Placement' plugin, it totally work unless I also apply file placement rules. Even if I have 'File placement rules respect real time file placement limits set by the balancing plugins', the files seem to move directly to the cloud (which fills up the cache and then slows down the file move).  

So, right now, what I did is remove all of my file placement limits, which results in both folders being mixed across the cloud and HDDs, however, when I move files, I can at least get full speed as it fills the HDDs first.

So I guess what I'm looking for is almost the functionality of the SSD optimizer, but without the SSDs being emptied during balancing.