3 Drives with Redudancy?

letthiswork1

Question

Hi Guys,

So recently one of my 6Tb drives in my pool died. I had 2 x 6Tb drives and lost half my data.

So i have now installed 3 x 10Tb drives in my NAS(HP Gen 8). I was originally looking at raid 5 . so 2 x 10TB + 1 drive for parity.

But i was suggested to use Drivepool to do this. How exactly would i set this up so i have drive failure redundancy?

My Setup is as below

3 x 10TB WD Red

1 x 500GB SSD Boot drive

16GB RAM

4 answers to this question

1. Install DrivePool (DP)
2. In the DP GUI, add the three 10TB HDDs to a new Pool (I would use the letter P for that one)
It is important to realise that existing data on the HDDs will NOT be affected but they will also NOT be part of the Pool. If you want to move those files to the Pool, you could do this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489
3. Now set duplication to x2
4. Let DP do its magic.

Be aware though that DP does not use parity. It is a file based solution that simply ensures that you have a number of duplicates where each duplicate is stored on a different physical device. As a result, 3x10TB will allow for 15TB net storage "only" with x2 duplication.

6 hours ago, Umfriend said:

1. Install DrivePool (DP)
2. In the DP GUI, add the three 10TB HDDs to a new Pool (I would use the letter P for that one)
It is important to realise that existing data on the HDDs will NOT be affected but they will also NOT be part of the Pool. If you want to move those files to the Pool, you could do this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489
3. Now set duplication to x2
4. Let DP do its magic.

Be aware though that DP does not use parity. It is a file based solution that simply ensures that you have a number of duplicates where each duplicate is stored on a different physical device. As a result, 3x10TB will allow for 15TB net storage "only" with x2 duplication.

Awesome thanks so much!

That answers all of my questions.

Shame about the Parity though. I guess it will duplicate the files offpeak overnight etc

@Umfriend is correct.  Duplicated data on the pool is written to all destination drives, simultaneously.  Meaning if a disk failed, there is no time lag that you have to worry about.  

You could use SnapRAID with StableBit CloudDrive, if you wanted.  But it's snapshot parity, so there is a time lag, and new data may not be protected.