Dropbox Smart Sync not working on DrivePool

hsiktas

Question

Hello,

I am using StableBit Drivepool 2.2.2.934 on Windows 10 version 1809 and it seems like the Smart Sync feature from Dropbox is not working when my Dropbox folder is located in my DrivePool. It doesn't show any errors but the sync process just hangs until I disable that feature again.

When I use that feature, I tries to create some files with an "Reparse point" attribute and it seems like this is what DrivePool has issues with. This Smart Sync feature was only part of the business subscription but is seems like this feature is now available for all paid Dropbox accounts. It also seems like a similar feature from OneDrive is also failing because of this.

Is it still ok to send logs about this to the support or is this feature out of DrivePool's scope?

edit: It seems like the Dropbox client is smart enough to understand that Smart Sync is failing and disabled it again for me. At least my files are not stuck in a permanent syncing limbo anymore. ^_^

Edited by hsiktas

6 answers to this question

Just got my DrivePooled computer back after 2 years.... The issue is no longer limited to Smart Sync. For years I was using DrivePool with Dropbox.... with dropbox updated, it no longer can install onto a DrivePool directory, giving an error message saying to choose a directory with a supported filesystem.  Reusing the existing Dropbox directory already on the drivepool from the prior install the sync also doesn't progress, even without using Smart Sync.  It explicitly says it supports NTFS in the error saying to choose a supported filesystem.   I'm wondering if DropBox is giving up because it sees CoveFS != NTFS.

https://www.osradar.com/dropbox-supported-file-system-will-shrink-soon/#:~:text=Dropbox announced that starting from November 2018%2C their,the folder exists only on these file systems.

As pools report to the OS as NTFS drives, I would guess based on the linked article that Dropbox is specifically checking whether it can make an extended attribute call; I would suggest making a feature request to Stablebit to see if the necessary extended attribute support can be added?

EDIT: also there has just been a new stable release of DrivePool, version 2.2.5.1237, the changelog mentions support for extended attributes!

Please let us know if the update helps?

Interestingly I found a way to get it to try to use the pool:

1. Create a folder in the pool

2. Create a Junction linking to that folder from another drive.  Don't name it "DropBox", a dropbox folder will get created inside the folder pointed to by the junction.  If you try to set the dropbox folder a level above that it will just replace the junction.

3. Set the junction as the dropbox location. 

4. It will Start moving files, but most likely fail before long, with an error saying not all files could be moved and to choose a different location.