Trial on VirtualBox - error removing drives from pool

Tiago Silva

Question

I'm testing DrivePool on a VirtualBox Win7x86 instance.

After adding drives to the pool, I tried removing them, but I got an error. Uninstalled DrivePool, following the steps in Q3017479, installed all Windows updates, uninstalled .NET 4.5.1 from DrivePool Setup, installed .NET 4.7.2 from the Microsoft offline installer, and then reinstalled DrivePool. The drives were recognized and added to the pool, despite having deleted all ProgramData, %APPDATA% and Registry settings. But still this error appears when I try removing a drive from the pool

The error translation is ": not a valid Win32 application"

I'm using the trial license, but I don't want to move the trial to my "live" machine until I am sure that these issues won't happen. Or at the very least how I can manually remove the pool configuration from each drive without having to reformat the detached drive, because I haven't found a wiki article for it.

Thank you for any help.

image.png.a63b942cc0818181b368cd70e7c7ced6.png

2 answers to this question

OK, I'll answer this myself - Oh, did this make me oh so very confident on StableBit's support...

After some reading about the error, I found lots of mentions to dependency mismatches when migrating a x86 Visual Studio project to x64.

Tried "Dependency Walker" on the Cove.Unmanaged.dll and found lots of links to libraries identified as x64

Created a new VM with Win7x64.

Installed DrivePool x64. It doesn't show the error.

So, from my understanding, as of now, DrivePool is broken on Win7x86 (32bits).