File and folder duplication logic

GeorgeS

Question

After reading all the online information I am still a little unclear about the how file and folder duplications works.

If I have several discs in the pool, say 10.  Now if I set file duplication to 2 x and I set a specific folder (with many subfolders) to 2x duplication too.  Is the result as follows;

1. All files NOT in the folder are duplicated across any of the 10 pool discs.
  2. All files IN the folder AND subfolders are kept on 1 disc and duplicated on another disc.
  3. When the size of the duplicated folder exceeds the size of the disc in the pool that it is stored on, what happens?  A) I get a message to say it is full or B ) does it expand the folder over 2 discs (4 discs with duplicate).

My objective is to keep some folders together on one disc, whilst others I don’t mind how they are duplicated across the rest of the pool.

2 answers to this question

Nope, not quite.

The Pool file duplication is basically the "root" folder, and the settings get inherrited down.

Unfortunately, right now, there is no "per folder placement" option. However, that is on our To-Do list for the future.

For now, it's basically one disk at a time, or all over the place. No half and half.

Though if you do want to fill one disk at a time, check out the ordered file placement Balancer. It fills one disk to "capacity" (well, to what DrivePool is told is the max, which is 90% capacity by default), and then starts to fill the next disk. If you have duplication enabled, that's basically two disks at a time.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins