Frequent I/O Error - Cloud Drive xxxxx is having trouble downloading data from google drive

JulesTop

Question

Hi,

I get this error frequently... I'm not sure if it's because my cloud drive has been uploading for about 1.5 weeks so far and I am also downloading from it periodically for use with Plex... but I do get this error frequently enough. It seems to happen with all my cloud drives... I've detached and re-attached, but that doesn't seem to work... I suspect it might be my cache (SSD shared for all 4 cloud drives which is also being used for Windows OS), but I would like to have a way of making sure it's the SSD before I go out and by another one.

image.png.b234b02c82a7fb639cf7d21cf028e748.png

Thanks!

So, it looks like my issue wasn't a clouddrive issue after all.

I seem to have had windows stability issues. I decided to clean install windows and restore the individual programs that I wanted to keep. The drive has been up for 24 hours without any errors.

Everything is normal now! :)

Those are generally network errors, not I/O errors in the traditional sense. Something is probably interfering with your connection to Google's servers. You'll need to troubleshoot the network connection. Logs might help to pin down exactly what is happening. 

I seem to still have this as well. I watched it happen yesterday where 1 thread seems to hang. I just see the thread count at 1 but nothing is downloading.

It caused my Plex stream to stop, which is why I went to look at it.

I adjusted my settings but didn't quite go as low as Christopher recommended as I was losing some performance. I may go that low now and see.

My settings are as follows right now.

DL threads: 7

UL threads: 5

Download size: 20MB

Prefetch Trigger: 10MB

Prefetch Forward: 250MB

Prefetch Time Window: 30sec

Hi,

Is it possible that someone can help diagnose this issue...

I have witnessed the problem occur a few times. What happens when I'm watching a movie or TV show via Kodi is it just stops playing... and then closes the stream.

When I watch the downloads, I usually see the threads is x1 but nothing is downloading... so the download hangs. (It doesn't seem to abort or retry fast enough)

When I go to the service log I see the following. (Not sure why the time is way off, not close to my PC clock time)

10:06:30.3: Warning: 0 : [IoManager:236] Error performing Read I/O operation on provider. Retrying. The read operation failed, see inner exception.
10:06:30.4: Warning: 0 : [IoManager:236] Error processing read request. Thread was being aborted.
10:06:30.4: Warning: 0 : [IoManager:236] Error in read thread. Thread was being aborted.

I then go to my Google Drive API Dashboard and see that everything seems OK on that front. (The issue occurred around 18:44 based on the last image)

image.thumb.png.974c0d4f1c8e1995311bd9d231029e7b.png

image.thumb.png.ec9d9f9b649e2722b72a588efa497f22.png

image.thumb.png.88495356219bb58fcf894adffe64a797.png

image.thumb.png.536fc290fde98fabac2f9e0265c6b158.png

Any help would be super duper appreciated!!!

Just an FYI, I enable Drive Tracer while this particular event happened in anticipation of it happening at some point.

I uploaded all the data via the troubleshooting tool and used this thread number (4398) as the ID.

It seems to happen every 1-2hrs of watching media.

Started to get these recently too, not sure it's related to Google's outage yesterday (Sunday June 2) but after the data loss episode that happened a couple of months ago, I'm starting to lose faith in the whole thing. My drive keeps through mounting/unmounting cycles too.

Hi @Christopher (Drashna),

Are you able to comment or have Alex review my troubleshooting upload? I still get this issue daily... I have my own Client-ID, and I don't see errors on Google's end. I'm hoping that the logs, or information I uploaded can provide some answers. 

I'm really hoping to be able to set this and forget it. But I want to make sure it's stable.

Thanks,

Jules

Hi @Christopher (Drashna) and @Alex,

Just an FYI that I can easily reproduce this if it will help in troubleshooting.

I'm currently re-duplicating from one google drive to another as one of them went corrupt for some reason. (And I'm pretty sure I made it worst when I tried to recover it)

Since I'm re-duplicating, it is download from one google drive around 70Mbps 24/7, and uploading to the other. This results in a critical error every hour or two. These critical errors don't cause any dismounts or anything... but ideally they do get resolved.

If you'd like, I can turn on drive tracing again for a few hours and then upload from the troubleshooter again.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Google seems to have big problems at the moment. I still have problems too while downloading data from gdrive. For the last three days i didnt had a forced unmount, but i got a lot of red errors...

Today i saw a lot of "Service unaivable" errors in the log. I found a post from a german guy, who could be part of the problem (his own words). He forked rclone and made some changes for using multiple service accounts and bypassing quotas, so he could transfer with 14Gbit/s and he know others who made it faster... He also wrote about 503 errors and an overloaded google backend.

7 hours ago, schudtweb said:

Google seems to have big problems at the moment. I still have problems too while downloading data from gdrive. For the last three days i didnt had a forced unmount, but i got a lot of red errors...

Today i saw a lot of "Service unaivable" errors in the log. I found a post from a german guy, who could be part of the problem (his own words). He forked rclone and made some changes for using multiple service accounts and bypassing quotas, so he could transfer with 14Gbit/s and he know others who made it faster... He also wrote about 503 errors and an overloaded google backend.

I hope this doesn't result in google restricting accounts even further... or anything even more drastic from them.

For me, it's like a breath of fresh air.... Everything has been running super smooth for days now. Not a single error or warning since the fresh windows install.

I've tried repairing windows before and doing a bunch of stuff, but it never worked out.

However, a couple of things to note. Before I reinstalled windows I upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12GB, thinking it may be related. I still had the issues after that. Also, when I reinstalled windows, I took the opportunity to use a new SSD (Samsung EVO 860) instead of an old SSD which has been running my windows install from about 5 years now. So windows is installed on a new 500GB SSD, and my cloud drives are now caching to the same SSD as the OS.

I re-purposed the old SSD as a drivepool SSD cache.

The reason I decided to pull the trigger on the fresh install is that I noticed windows stability issues. It would randomly freeze and cause problems... so I wasn't sure if the old SSD was causing problems as well, so I decided to do both at that point.

I didn't do anything with the service file. Just detached the drives before reinstalling windows, and then reinstalled clouddrive and re-attached the drives. I also made sure to backup my configurations of all my must-have programs, like Plex, and transfer to the new OS. It was surprisingly easy to do when following the various programs tutorials on backing up and restoring configurations. Also, remember to de-activate your license for stablebit before re-installing windows.

Ok, then i'll give it a try!

4-5 forced unmounts and disconnects today. And a lot of red download errors... Perhaps something like a timeout or other thredshold could be usefull. The drive is downloading (not very fast, but its working) and then out of the blue a forced unmount of the drive. But then i try a reinstall in the next days. Perhaps i have also luck like you :)

I also edited the Providersettings and put my client id into it, but it changed nothing...

Note, again, that these errors generally indicate a connection issue. So if you're having trouble with forced unmounts and I/O errors, the first thing you want to look at is the stability of the network connection between your PC and Google's servers. 

It's a dedicated root server in finnland. And i have no other connection issues...

Today morning (6:00-8:00 CEST) the drives are connecting, i got lot of red errors and then one or two gets disconnected. DrivePool tell me about a missing drive, but i cant not use the identify button (There are not enough informations about the disk) and i can just reboot the server. The it begins again...

The log file just say:

[IoManager:68] Thread abort performing Read I/O operation on provider.
[IoManager:68] Error processing read request. Der Thread wurde abgebrochen.
[IoManager:68] Error in read thread. Der Thread wurde abgebrochen.

And then the drives gets disconnected... I think it has something to do with the time. After 11:00 +/- i normally get less download errors, mostly no errors.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:56 AM, schudtweb said:

3 CloudDrives in 2 GDrive accounts. At the moment its nearly unusable for me... At the moment it is working with disabled prefetching and only 1 connection. But it happens again, if i eg. download one file and upload other files.

I got 19 drives on 5 accounts and no issues at all - im at 10 download threads and 12 upload threads and 20 MB chunks with limited throttling

My guess is something in your system is causing it