CloudDrive using too much space in the cloud - problem

Jakub148

Question

Hello, I am in need of help in this matter: I had a 975 GB cloud drive set up on my OneDrive for Business account and I deleted some old files then uploaded new ones. Then in the Storage Metrics on OneDrive I noticed that the size of the cloud drive folder reached 993 GB so I paused uploading immediately. I then resized the drive to 900 GB to try to fix the problem, it resized correctly and cleaned up except that my Storage Metrics page is still showing 993 GB used! Hopefully there is something I can do to reduce the size because I'm only actually using ~700 GB of the space and whenever I upload more the size of the cloud drive folder just goes up. Is there anything I can do without just deleting the whole thing and reuploading everything? I have attached some screenshots to make things clearer.

Thanks.88b4f98b5b.jpgc974c49185.png2698d04b63.png

5 answers to this question

i'm also interested in knowing this
tho i do believe the reason it acts like this is cause it somewhat works like a normal hdd and never actually deletes anything until the space is needed, but for onedrive/gdrive it still looks like space is used.

thus you need some program to clear/zero all the "deleted" files... but if that works when it comes to stablebit i have no idea 

10 hours ago, Exoriz said:

tho i do believe the reason it acts like this is cause it somewhat works like a normal hdd and never actually deletes anything until the space is needed, but for onedrive/gdrive it still looks like space is used.

Yes I thought that as well that's why I resized the drive to a smaller size thinking that would make it max 900GB but it didn't help and now I can't upload anything more because I fear I will reach the limit.

This might actually be on the provider's side. I once deleted about 100TB from Google Drive and it took months for the data to actually be removed from Google's servers. It didn't matter, since I didn't have a limit, but you might be running into a similar situation here. Contact your administrator and see if there is something they can do. 

Some providers has agreement to "charge you" for minimum 30-90 days for objects storage even if you delete the thing after 1 day.

This may cause a problem when you frequently update/delete files and especially have versioning enabled combined with frequent updates.

I have the similar problem 1TB onedrive for business account with cloud drive set up for 800GB size. There has been deletions and additions to the drive and now the clouddrive shows 750gb populated and 50gb free space but the onedrive admin view shows that full 1TB has been utilized, there is nothing in primary or secondary recycle bin on onedrive to delete. It simply shows that clouddrive folder is occupying 1TB to storage. I have an issue now, I can't delete anything on the ondrive since nothing is available to delete, drive is maxed out so it is rejecting the API calls from cloud drive and my drive shows 50gb space. I have also raised a support request with stablebit but no info yet.

-Praveen