[RAW] Need Advice on Recovering Data.

Bowsa

Question

Pertinent Information:

I had a major data loss weeks ago when Google had their downtime and made sure not to repeat the same mistake by enabling upload verification. I noticed the other day that Google was having issues, and the CloudUI reported the error more than 250 times. 

Today I checked and saw that a huge chunk of my are missing. I saw that my Cloud "Pool" was still working and there were a number of files, but then I had the intuition that this wasn't normal data loss like last time; it was isolated to one of the disks in the pool. 

Pool Setup: Initially I had a 10TB Drive that had filled up, and to enlarge it, I went through the steps in the UI and it created another partition instead of enlarging the existing one.  I pooled these two together to have them under the same Name and Drive Letter for organization purposes. In addition, I removed drive letters for the "pool drives" to prevent clutter.

Keeping the above in mind, I checked DrivePool, and it confirmed that the first Drive was "missing" and checking in Disk Management, the Drive is marked as "RAW". The first thing I did was follow these steps:

It doesn't seem to have done anything, as the drive is still RAW. I also assigned a Drive Letter to the problem disk, and ran "CHKDSK /f". It deleted index entries, and didn't complete due to "insufficient disk space to insert the index entry" it also placed unindexed files in "lost and found".
Capture.PNG.8ffd57f92469eea5f032ac9a1c8726c6.PNG

I need some advice on how to go forward with this, I don't want to lose 10 TBs of Data again. What can I do to recover my data?

Should I detach the disk, and reattach it?

3 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Bowsa said:

Pertinent Information:

I had a major data loss weeks ago when Google had their downtime and made sure not to repeat the same mistake by enabling upload verification. I noticed the other day that Google was having issues, and the CloudUI reported the error more than 250 times. 

Today I checked and saw that a huge chunk of my are missing. I saw that my Cloud "Pool" was still working and there were a number of files, but then I had the intuition that this wasn't normal data loss like last time; it was isolated to one of the disks in the pool. 

Pool Setup: Initially I had a 10TB Drive that had filled up, and to enlarge it, I went through the steps in the UI and it created another partition instead of enlarging the existing one.  I pooled these two together to have them under the same Name and Drive Letter for organization purposes. In addition, I removed drive letters for the "pool drives" to prevent clutter.

Keeping the above in mind, I checked DrivePool, and it confirmed that the first Drive was "missing" and checking in Disk Management, the Drive is marked as "RAW". The first thing I did was follow these steps:

It doesn't seem to have done anything, as the drive is still RAW. I also assigned a Drive Letter to the problem disk, and ran "CHKDSK /f". It deleted index entries, and didn't complete due to "insufficient disk space to insert the index entry" it also placed unindexed files in "lost and found".
Capture.PNG.8ffd57f92469eea5f032ac9a1c8726c6.PNG

I need some advice on how to go forward with this, I don't want to lose 10 TBs of Data again. What can I do to recover my data?

Should I detach the disk, and reattach it?

Recuva can recover it. It takes time, but most if not all should be recoverable

3 hours ago, steffenmand said:

Recuva can recover it. It takes time, but most if not all should be recoverable

I think it's just a matter of Recovering the Partition Table. I ran TestDisk, and it reports the drive as "NTFS", and more additional information, but it gets stuck on the "analyze" part. I'm sure that if I can find reliable software to recover the table, I should be back in business.