Does the ASM1061chip support 8TB Hard Drives?

TowTruckJoe

Question

I would like to know if the ASM1061 chipset support 8TB and larger hard drives with port multiplying? I'm considering buying a two port ASM1061 based card and using it with two 1:5 multipliers. This would be used as storage for single file access only. Bandwidth should not be an issue. 

3 answers to this question

With the onboard asm1061 eSATA controllers on a handful of motherboards I've owned, whilst they'd work perfectly with a single drive, I had unresolvable issues with port multiplying due to the drives switching off & having to reboot to get them back on again - & completely lost the will to live trying different driver versions.

Now, for historical reasons, I'd bought one that uses the Marvell 88SX7042 controller - in my case the StarTech PEXSATA24E, but there are others - &, whilst I couldn't get port multiplying to work beyond driver version 1.2.0.1049, it's been rock solid with the 4 different DASes I've owned at different times over the last decade or so.

Okay, the card (or rather cards, as I bought a 2nd one at a point for another machine - & have hung onto in case it's needed for something as they're reliable) I own still isn't particularly cheap new - but, depending on location, there's often good prices on 2nd hand ones on eBay... ...or you could obviously look for an alt with the same controller.

It will probably support the 8TB drive and maybe support two port multipliers.  I have used a asm1061 eSATA controller with 10TB drives.  My challenge is the number of drives.  The best card I have would only support up to 2 port multipliers or 10 drives and behaved badly when I attached 8 drives on each of the two ports for 16 drives total.  I have tried a number of cards that will only support 1 port multiplier and 4 or 5 drives per port.  Every motherboard eSata port I tried did not support a port multiplier.

You should test the port multiplier or enclosure.  My older 8 bay enclosure with port multiplier will only support up to 6TB drives and behaved badly when I inserted a 10TB drive.  There are also two different standards for port multiplier and some cards only support one standard. 

I second the comment on driver versions.  I had a working solution on Windows 7 but gave up trying to find a driver version that would work with an inexpensive asm1061 or Marvell card in Windows 10 and switched to USB 3.0 which my enclosures also support.