What is causing Slow DL speeds from my GDrive?

Bowsa

Question

I have 1000/1000, and regularly get download speeds of 950-970 mbps.  There's a hard drive I backed up in its entirety, and now I want to transfer it to another external drive. The problem is that copying the entire folder to my new external is delivering less than stellar results.

Usenet maxes out my connecting at 80-90 MBps, but it seems that through GDrive it's so much slower and very sporadic as there is no "real" transfer rate due to the pre-fetching mechanism. I was wondering if there where any other ways to optimize this?

google.PNG

4 answers to this question

My guess is that you have the same "issue" as me where the response times pr. download thread is long, causing the time pr. thread to increase and thus slowing down speeds.

As GDrive works with maximum 20 MB chunks, it has to request a chunk and await the reply from google. in my case this takes 2300-2800 ms pr. chunk. 

You can see details under "Technical details" (Found top right on the settings wheel) and then select your drive. Details are shown in the bottom.

I have requested 100 MB chunks for GDrive with a minimum required download size of 20 MB or more to help speed it up for us high-speed users.

3 hours ago, steffenmand said:

My guess is that you have the same "issue" as me where the response times pr. download thread is long, causing the time pr. thread to increase and thus slowing down speeds.

As GDrive works with maximum 20 MB chunks, it has to request a chunk and await the reply from google. in my case this takes 2300-2800 ms pr. chunk. 

You can see details under "Technical details" (Found top right on the settings wheel) and then select your drive. Details are shown in the bottom.

I have requested 100 MB chunks for GDrive with a minimum required download size of 20 MB or more to help speed it up for us high-speed users.

Thing is, if I set the Minimum DL to like 40 MB, enable 18 threads, and 3000 MB of pre-fetch, I get 600-700 Mbps 

1 hour ago, Bowsa said:

Thing is, if I set the Minimum DL to like 40 MB, enable 18 threads, and 3000 MB of pre-fetch, I get 600-700 Mbps 

The more threads, the more concurrent chunks it downloads, thus increases speeds. But then we just end up getting throttled :)

Im almost certain that minimal download is meant more for partial downloads. So setting it above chunk size don't seem to have any impact (atleast on my drives)

This is because other providers offer up to 100 MB chunks, so people might want to download only a partial chunk instead of the full 100 MB.

Logically 40 MB would also mean two downloads, thus two threads anyway :)

CloudDrive has vastly higher overhead than many other transfer protocols like FTP and Usenet. 700mbps is probably about right with respect to a maximum theoretical transfer rate on a 1gbps connection. It isn't built for raw transfer throughput, and it adds additional overhead on top of the protocols being used to transfer the data. I think what is required here is an adjustment of expectations, more than an adjustment of settings in the application. Remember that CloudDrive is also using whatever protocols your provider requires to transfer its data, so, if you were using FTP, for example, you need to account for the standard FTP overhead AND the additional overhead above that amount that CloudDrive requires as well. 

If transferring files from one location to another is the primary goal, you'd be better off setting aside the accessory benefits of CloudDrive, and simply completing that transfer using a dedicated file transfer protocol. It will effectively always be faster. 

Remember, also, that overhead is additive per transfer, so CloudDrive's mechanism of chunking your data means that you add X overhead per chunk rather than X overhead per file--as you would if you were using, say, FTP. You simply will not see transfer rates of 90-95% of your maximum throughput, and that isn't the goal of this particular application.