Does scanner remember scan status between reboots?

bob19

Question

I don't think so? I don't run my server 24/7 to save power. The scanner maybe works up to 50% on a drive, I shut it down, next reboot the scan starts at 0% again?

I have now installed 2.5.3246 does this fix the issue? If this doesn't do it, I would highly appreciate this feature. 

11 answers to this question

It does in fact remember the scan progress if you interrupt it with a reboot, and even by disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it later.

It states this in the Manual somewhere, if I recall it will remember for up to a year or some ludicrous length of time,

If you only have this problem with one single disk and not all of your disks, then you likely have a different problem. You could try backing up your settings and then starting from scratch (delete Json folder and restart) to rule out the previous versions having left over some weird issue.

No I have this issue with ALL disks. I recently scanned all disks, only one was left to scan. After like 48 hours that it took shut down the server.

Next day, started, installed a new version (this beta) and boom, the scan starts for ALL disks again. Annoying.

6 hours ago, bob19 said:

Next day, started, installed a new version (this beta) and boom, the scan starts for ALL disks again. Annoying.

That's quite "normal" that it happened in the upgrade process to 3246, see here:

However now that you're on 3246 it shouldn't happen anymore. I assume some drives are partially scanned now? Reboot and it shouldn't be reset to 0% anymore.

Things are getting more and more ridiculous with Scanner.

I have now "started" over, shut down the service and deleted all the settings and JSON files. Restart the service, re-enabled the license,  set my options as I like them. I have then set all the drives I had checked two days ago to  "Mark unchecked blocks as good". I only wanted this one drive to get checked again. After a couple of hours I take a look at the server and boom, two drives are reported as having "file system problems".

I can't start the file system check from Scanner (no idea why, nothing happens when I click on the message). So I started chkdsk /f on the drives. There are NO errors that checkdisk can find. I would appreciate some support from the official support at this point.

@Christopher (Drashna) are you reading this?

On 5/1/2019 at 9:25 AM, bob19 said:

I don't think so? I don't run my server 24/7 to save power. The scanner maybe works up to 50% on a drive, I shut it down, next reboot the scan starts at 0% again?

I have now installed 2.5.3246 does this fix the issue? If this doesn't do it, I would highly appreciate this feature. 

Yes.  However the percentage is based on what is left to scan, not the full disk.  So 0% may may that you have 10GB left to scan, in some cases. 

However, there is a bug with the settings getting reset/corrupted. So 3246 is the build you want to be on. 

OK thank you, I understand now. I think this should be changed because now it's confusing. If you reach let's say 50%, reboot or shut down, the scanner should show the process as picking up at 50% on the next start.

Well, normally, I'd agree with you.  But StableBit Scanner isn't tracking the scan as one whole thing.   It actually uses a sector map of the drive. So it tracks sections of the drive, independently.   Each section is checked based on that status, and it over time, spreads out when the scanning happens. And should actually make it more intelligently scan (by ideally scanning at times and days when the drives are less likely to be active). 

You can check out this by double clicking on the disk, and looking at the sector map.  It will show different colors for different regions.