Is my Drivepool Dying ? :(

aBe_FX35

Question

Hello Everyone,

I will try to be as clear as possible, never had this happen before and have no idea what to do. If you need any more info or have more questions please feel free to ask. So overnight, i get all these weird errors and messages, i restart my computer and windows (10) does a random "scan and repair drive" upon bootup, which leaves me like asking what is going on ? Let me list my 2 major issues,i will try to include some screen shots too.

1) Mystable bit scanner was not installed, so i installed it and scanned all my drives (took like 2 days which seems excessive but not the issue) once it was done all the drives show "healthy" except for 1 of my drives, which has me scared because i never seen this before in previous scans and also all these drives are in my drive pool for my precious PLEX server media collection.

2) Generally stablebit spans/splits up the data equally among the drives in the pool, well when i look now all my drives have less than 500 KB of space, and only 1 of them says it has the remaining 45 GB of space left, when before this 45 GB was split equally between them, yes i was running low on space, and was gonna add more drives soon, but then this issue happened and i dont know where to go from here cause i dont wanna lose my data. I will include a screen shot of this.

You can see in the screenshot showing all my drives in the pool which all point to the drive (P:) PLEX which is my drivepool for all my Plex server media, before i go and add more drives to my huge desktop warehousing all these drives, im hoping this can fixed and put everything back to normal before so.

Any advice and help on this would be great, im not super tech savvy so instructions in detail would be appreciated. Thank you all :)

Sidenote: All Plex drives are Westerndigital NAS RED drives, some 4 TB some 8 TB.

DRIVES.PNG

HDD1.PNG

HDD2.PNG

HDD3.PNG

15 answers to this question

10 hours ago, aBe_FX35 said:

i have a spare 8 TB WD RED drive brand new laying around, will it be a pain to replace the faulty drive and it magically go back to the way it was before ? is the drive considered bad and dont bother trying to save it ?

Awesome! Yes, install that drive, add it to the Pool, click on remove for the faulty drive and let DP do its magic. It may take quite some time but, especially as I think you do not have duplication, you want to get the Pool healthy ASAP.

The faulty drive can be tested, there are various ways and tools to do so. If you can RMA, then that is the way to go, if not you can try that. In and by itselfm a few damaged sectors is no issue (I have them one one HDD due to a power failure). However, if you can get the number of damaged sectors to increase then I would not use it at all other than to experiment with disaster recovery ;)

On permissions, yes, that is rather common I think. Do this http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455. Personally, I would do this after restoring the Pool to health.

Saw your PM. I am not official support, I just help out now and then.

In your case, if I understand correctly, the only thing that is currently giving issues is that one HDD, right? I would get a new HDD, probably a bigger one. Connect, put in Pool, then remove the faulty HDD. You could still use it but I would perform a burst-test or somesuch and if the number of faulty sectors increases then I would say it is a goner.

4 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

Saw your PM. I am not official support, I just help out now and then.

In your case, if I understand correctly, the only thing that is currently giving issues is that one HDD, right? I would get a new HDD, probably a bigger one. Connect, put in Pool, then remove the faulty HDD. You could still use it but I would perform a burst-test or somesuch and if the number of faulty sectors increases then I would say it is a goner.

damn i have no extra money for one right now, do you have any idea how to find out which specific drive it is ? i have many in there. worse things are happening now, all drives except 1 are showing ZERO free space, even when i delete filed to make space it does not reflect the changes. is there anywhere to repair the drive ? when i click repair drive it says it could not fix it and to run repair in command prompt which i dont know how to do, weird it says only 92 kb of unreadable data is causing all these problems.

Thank you for your response, i am freaking out lol.

In Scanner, right-click the row with the column names and select it to show the drive letter. I am assuming you know which drive letter is which actual HDD. If not, well, it becomes a bit messy with, for instance, power down - disconnect all but one, power up. DP will complain about missing disks but leave that for now. Is the disk that is online faulty? You got it. No? Then shut down, add one other disk, power up, rinse and repeat. It is a nuisance but I know of no better way. While you are at it, consider actually labeling them ;)

Oh, and if you run scanner, then possibly it is also a high priority balancer in DP (Open DP -> Manage Pool -> Balancing -> Balancers - StableBit Scanner -> What are the settings of File evacuation? It may be the other HDDs are running full because DP is trying to evacuate the drive. Any chance you have older smaller HDDs lying around and spare connectors?

I saw your PM and the other post. 

From the looks of it, I'm guessing that you have "current pending sectors" and/or "uncorrectable sector count" as the SMART values that are being flagged. 

These coupled with the unreadable sectors during the surface scan indicate a bad drive.  

You will want to replace that drive as soon as possible.  If the drive is under warranty, and the option is available to you, the "Advanced RMA" option is the best. They send you a new drive first, and then you ship them the bad drive. 

On 4/30/2019 at 12:13 AM, Umfriend said:

Oh, and if you run scanner, then possibly it is also a high priority balancer in DP (Open DP -> Manage Pool -> Balancing -> Balancers - StableBit Scanner -> What are the settings of File evacuation? It may be the other HDDs are running full because DP is trying to evacuate the drive. Any chance you have older smaller HDDs lying around and spare connectors?

Thank you for you reply. so i a few things to mention and answer your question,

My permissions is all wrong as if im not even admin, which i am, this is a faily fresh install of windows 10, ive played around with permissions and still have access denied on certain files/folders its very weird and frustrating, i am the only owner of this pc so i dont know why im not set to admin. (the media files and folders permissions were all messed up before from an old OS install and i just copied these files and folders to the drives as is, so they may need permissions tweaking ? just a guess)

I am attaching a few photos and one pertaining to the question about file evacuation below.

i have a spare 8 TB WD RED drive brand new laying around, will it be a pain to replace the faulty drive and it magically go back to the way it was before ? is the drive considered bad and dont bother trying to save it ?

As for trying to physically find out which defective drive it is, no i dont have the drive letters recorded/memorized as which drive it is, however if i click on "drive details" it mentions a Serial number within the information, i looked at the drives inside and found a drive with that exact serial number so im 99 percent sure i know which one is the faulty one, i know which one physically is defective not drive letter.

Thanks again all, and please if u need more info or i have not answered your question the right way please let me know, i hope i can resolve this with relative ease.

side not the uploading of photos on this forum is pretty horrible, i could not even attached 2 photos this time for some reason, once it said max file size reached i removed all and now it wont let me upload a 62kb file saying too big :/ ill upload it in another reponse see if that fixes it.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:13 AM, Umfriend said:

it won let me upload another super small screen shot :( however my evacuation settings it check marked indicating this feature is activated im assuming/on.

3 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Awesome! Yes, install that drive, add it to the Pool, click on remove for the faulty drive and let DP do its magic. It may take quite some time but, especially as I think you do not have duplication, you want to get the Pool healthy ASAP.

The faulty drive can be tested, there are various ways and tools to do so. If you can RMA, then that is the way to go, if not you can try that. In and by itselfm a few damaged sectors is no issue (I have them one one HDD due to a power failure). However, if you can get the number of damaged sectors to increase then I would not use it at all other than to experiment with disaster recovery ;)

On permissions, yes, that is rather common I think. Do this http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455. Personally, I would do this after restoring the Pool to health.

Thank you so much for your help, you have been a million times more helpful than any of the admins here, im gonna give it a shot later, and yes i have duplication on, however i need to remove duplication on some folders which i have never messed with cause i dont know how, but i need to save some space, duplication can be very expensive lol. Thank you for the permissions link, i will do this after i rebuild the pool im assuming ? yeah its weird, i dont know why all the permissions on all my files and folders either work or dont, like i have a folder with all my standup comedy in it, when i try to add this to plex it loads up all wrong and says inaccessible check permissions, very frustrating. Thanks again for all urhelp !

One more thing, any idea why when i panicked to make space, cause all drives showed no space except 1, but they were equally split before ? when i deleted files to make space quickly, the available space did not increase as i got rid of data, weird.

8 hours ago, Umfriend said:

I strongly suspect that when Scanner found issues with the drive, it told DP to evacuatie it., thus filling the other drives.

You're welcome.

i just installed the brand new unopened 8 TB WD RED drive, for some reason its not even showing up under disk management to see it /intitilaize it , not showing up to "add" as new drive to drive pool, any ideas ?

9 hours ago, Umfriend said:

I strongly suspect that when Scanner found issues with the drive, it told DP to evacuatie it., thus filling the other drives.

You're welcome.

update, finally got the new drive intialized and online, i removed the old drive physically and on drivepool, and added the new drive, now its "measuring" will it automatically balance and restore life back to normal ? lol

update2, its done measuring and now is "duplicating".

On 5/1/2019 at 4:39 AM, aBe_FX35 said:

One more thing, any idea why when i panicked to make space, cause all drives showed no space except 1, but they were equally split before ? when i deleted files to make space quickly, the available space did not increase as i got rid of data, weird.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:52 AM, Umfriend said:

You're welcome.

This would be correct.  If the drive showed up in StableBit Scanner as "damaged", then StableBit DrivePool will automatically attempt to evacuate the contents of the disk, to help and hopefully prevent data corruption.