Going to the Cloud

Alex

It seems like just about every application today is going to the cloud.

What do you guys think of us adding tighter integration with the cloud (so to speak)?

For instance:

• How about saving your StableBit Scanner disk scan history online?

This will mean that if you plug in the same hard drive into a different computer it will instantly know when that disk was last scanned.

• Perhaps we can keep track of your disk's temperature history as well, and synchronize that with the cloud?

You would be able to query for temperature history for any disk, from any point in time.

We can do the same with disk performance, disk uptime (when it goes to sleep or when it's running),

• For DrivePool, we can augment remote control peer discovery with a centralized server. So DrivePool will automatically know about every machine running DrivePool with the same Activation ID.

• Whenever you add or remove a disk, DrivePool would save that event to the cloud. You would be able to see pool participation history and disk space usage utilization over time.

• We can build some mobile apps around this data to let you query and access it.

Would you guys find this service valuable and would you be willing to pay a small yearly fee for a service like this (say, $4.99 / yr)?

Hi Alex,

On my side, I would not really be interested by such a feature.

I do not find that very useful, especially today where you can RD your server on your android mobile...

For the moment I can only think about one network related feature that would really have interest to me: pool recycle bin handling share deletions (same kind as greyhole over samba).

I'd rather be able to store the history in a place (cloud or otherwise) of my own choosing, with the ability to easily transfer the data to a new place of my own choosing. Clouds can evaporate, and I'm not inclined to have to rent and manage different clouds for every different app/brand/company/dataset.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a market niche yet for a "CloudPool" product, with balancers to take advantage of provider price/latency/speed/quota disparities and automatically dupe/sync/shift your data accordingly. And since we can now rent VM space, you could have CloudPool itself running in the clouds along with its data. Ultimately, you might have "Pool", a product that automagically handles all of your storage and processing resources, both local and remote.

• 1 month later...

Hi Alex,

On my side, I would not really be interested by such a feature.

I do not find that very useful, especially today where you can RD your server on your android mobile...

For the moment I can only think about one network related feature that would really have interest to me: pool recycle bin handling share deletions (same kind as greyhole over samba).

Ok, point taken.

No cloud for us :)

Hmm. I wonder if there's a market niche yet for a "CloudPool" product, with balancers to take advantage of provider price/latency/speed/quota disparities and automatically dupe/sync/shift your data accordingly. And since we can now rent VM space, you could have CloudPool itself running in the clouds along with its data. Ultimately, you might have "Pool", a product that automagically handles all of your storage and processing resources, both local and remote.

I think that this is where we're trying to go.

It just takes time and we need the support of our customers to get there.

Ultimately there should be no difference in local vs. remote storage, in terms of accessibility. "CloudPool" is our goal.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my "cloud" local and private. Therefore, no external access for me. Feel free to develop for others, however.

I do the math every year or so. Any serious online storage [TBs] cost more than buying and rotating drives every three years, which of course I haven't had to do that frequently.

You can check for yourself, how much does it cost for 55 plus TBs online 24/7?

Alex, I "saw" [heard] you being interviewed on utube "StableBit on Home Server Show 219".

Very good representation of the product. Yes, I know it was from April but I just found it this morning.

• 4 weeks later...

I do the math every year or so. Any serious online storage [TBs] cost more than buying and rotating drives every three years, which of course I haven't had to do that frequently.

You can check for yourself, how much does it cost for 55 plus TBs online 24/7?

Well, I wasn't particularly talking about cloud storage here, but perhaps just a way to synchronize settings / history among different machines.

But now that you mention cloud storage, this really is something that I've been thinking about.

What if we could bring the cost of cloud storage down to something reasonable, where it would be practical to purchase TBs of storage? I have been doing some math and I think that the main problem seems to be bandwidth more than the actual cost of storage.

Alex, I "saw" [heard] you being interviewed on utube "StableBit on Home Server Show 219".

Very good representation of the product. Yes, I know it was from April but I just found it this morning.

Oh and thank you :)

I'm no expert at public speaking, but I do like to talk about the products that I've built, which I believe in very strongly.

Yes, the bandwidth to upload/download from the cloud is seldom mentioned, the promoters seem to want the public to forget about the cost of that. Example, tablet users with "free" storage space on the web, using cellular connection with limited bandwidth.

The company I work at is looking at updating our SAN storage, what cost us $600K seven years ago cost less than $300K with greatly increased bandwidth and much better software [tiered] with SSDs on the front.

So yes, I agree storage is making great strides, but the bottleneck will be for the foreseeable future the connection from home to remote storage. Around dinner time in my neighborhood eveything slows to a crawl as the drones connect to netflix.

Yes, the bandwidth to upload/download from the cloud is seldom mentioned, the promoters seem to want the public to forget about the cost of that. Example, tablet users with "free" storage space on the web, using cellular connection with limited bandwidth.

The company I work at is looking at updating our SAN storage, what cost us $600K seven years ago cost less than $300K with greatly increased bandwidth and much better software [tiered] with SSDs on the front.

So yes, I agree storage is making great strides, but the bottleneck will be for the foreseeable future the connection from home to remote storage. Around dinner time in my neighborhood eveything slows to a crawl as the drones connect to netflix.

Secure cloud storage has been foremost on my mind. I've been thinking about different options that would offer practical and affordable cloud storage. There will be more coming from Covecube regarding cloud storage stay tuned, the wheels are already in motion.

• 5 months later...

Alex

Have you got any further with this?  Very interersting, I want all my personal videos and pictures seamlessly backed up at all times.  Bandwidth is becoming less of an issue with the roll out of inifinity 2 and data centres are popping up all over the place.

P