1 Drive 2 PC...with detach is possibile?

Chupa

Question

Good evening, I write to be sure that what I'm doing is technically possible and right.
After losing a 30TB data drive I am looking for a method to be able to restore my data quickly, should it happen again. On another PC I installed Cloud Drive and I'm creating backup disks using a program that syncronizes the folders in this way I would like to create mirror disks, so if in the future a disk gets damaged I can detach the disk on the "second" PC and mount it on the primary PC without damaging filesystems or anything else?
That is, I would like to know if I can mount the disk on a PC, upload files to it, then unplug the disk and mount it on another PC, having access to my data and having the possibility to load data again. Thank you

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, steffenmand said:

As long as it is only attached at one place at a time, you can move it around as you want

Thanks for the answer, I thought I could corrupt the file system in this way, however I think there is something wrong with GDrive or the cloud drive engine because like other people here in the forum we have disks with filesystems corrupted almost simultaneously I have 4 disks in 4 different accounts and one after the other they are all corrupting, I hope the developers will investigate the issue. Thank you

18 minutes ago, Chupa said:

Thanks for the answer, I thought I could corrupt the file system in this way, however I think there is something wrong with GDrive or the cloud drive engine because like other people here in the forum we have disks with filesystems corrupted almost simultaneously I have 4 disks in 4 different accounts and one after the other they are all corrupting, I hope the developers will investigate the issue. Thank you

Been using this product for several years. Usually a drive can be fixed by either:

1. Putting the disk offline and then removing the cache. Put it online and it will try to download the filesystem files again

2. Run chkdsk DRIVELETTER: /f to fix the filesystem.

i only tried once having lost data - and that was way way back.

The last incident was due to a google drive issue causing people to get corrupted files locally (i suspect)

But as others mention, remember that this is not a back-up solution.

17 minutes ago, steffenmand said:

Been using this product for several years. Usually a drive can be fixed by either:

1. Putting the disk offline and then removing the cache. Put it online and it will try to download the filesystem files again

2. Run chkdsk DRIVELETTER: /f to fix the filesystem.

i only tried once having lost data - and that was way way back.

The last incident was due to a google drive issue causing people to get corrupted files locally (i suspect)

But as others mention, remember that this is not a back-up solution.

Thanks for your advice, others have also advised me this but for me this time it didn't work. Thanks good evening

On 4/23/2019 at 1:21 PM, Chupa said:

We are aware of the issue, but ... it's not something easy to pin down. 

And unfortunately, it seems like this issue may be specific to the google drive provider. 

20 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

We are aware of the issue, but ... it's not something easy to pin down. 

And unfortunately, it seems like this issue may be specific to the google drive provider. 

Good evening. I understand, I would like to know if this problem with GDrive is just that it has come out or it is a problem already known in the past.

I ask this because I have been using Cloud Drive for more than a year and I have not encountered this type of problem, if it was a known and very recurring problem, what system do Cloud Drive + GDrive users use to avoid losing their data?

Thank you

"it's complicated".

We've had similar reports for a while now.  It's not very often, and not very many people.   
Between that, and that we haven't been able to reproduce it ourselves makes it very difficult to track down.

So, while it may be known, it's not a very recurring probably.  It's possible that it affects other provider. But because Google Drive is the most popular provider,  it may just be seen more on it.  

As for avoiding this, I'm not sure.  We don't really know what's causing the issue, which is part of why we haven't been able to reproduce it.   

However, if you're able to find a sequence of actions that triggers this behavior, then let us know right away.