Reinstall Windows What happen to DrivePool ?

KarlFranz

Question

I currently switching my NAS from Windows Storage Space to DrivePool.

But when all data will be transfert, I want to reinstall windows with a clean install on a new nvme drive.

What happen to my bunch of DrivePool drive when I will reinstall windows and reinstall Drivepool to?

Can I make Drivepool rebuild the pool without loose any data?

I'm still on trial version but I will for sure buy a license, this product look awesome.

5 answers to this question

IMHO, buy before re-installing windows, activate drivepool so the pool is tied to your account, then you have to de-activate drivepool before wiping and re-installing windows in order to activate it again on the clean install. I would remove all drives not being used for the windows install during the wipe. Once in windows, updated and DrivePool installed, power down the system, re-install the drives in one batch and power up, drivepool should detect the pool and it'll be re-instated with no need of a re-build like a typical raid array.

No need to first activiate the trial version.

If you have a Pool, you can actually physically disconnect and move over to another PC. If DP is installed there, it will recognise the Pool and the settings and you are done!

So yes. Personally, I would physically disconnect all drives before installing Windows (just to ensure you do not select the wrong disk and to avoid any funny placement of boot partitions), install windows, reconnect the Pooled HDDs and install DP. That's all.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:04 AM, KarlFranz said:

Can I make Drivepool rebuild the pool without loose any data?

You don't need do anything, actually.

If you reinstall the OS, assuming there is no pooled data on the system drive (eg, it's not in the pool), then all you need to do, is to install StableBit DrivePool. 

Once that's done, the software will look for pooled drives. If any are found, it will automatically rebuild the pool with the available drives. 

The only thing you'd need to do is make sure all the drives are connected... and you may need to reset the NTFS permissions on the drive, as they may no longer be valid.  
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455